Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Re: Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

And if you Alt-Tab through your open applications, Act does not appear in the list?

Highlighted

Re: Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

HI Chris:

Yes Act! (32bit) is showing as being a Background process in Task Manager. When I end the Task and start up Act! again it allows Act! to open again.

It thus appears Act! is not fully closing down its processes when I exit Act!.

Any suggestions how to fully close down Act! when I exit the software.

David

Highlighted

HI Mark:

If I Alt-Tab through open applications after Act! is closed Act! does not show up on the list, however it still appears in the Task Manager as a Background process.

I now find if I highlight the Act (32 bit ) process and end task, then I am able to start up Act! again.

It appears Act! is not fully closing down after exiting the software which apparently should happen. When I start up Act! while Task Manager is open Act! temporarily quickly flashes up on Task Manager but Act! does not start up and no error messages appear.

David

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Act! should close but it might be due to antivirus, I would test by deactivating your antivirus and then close act! to see if it closes correctly, if it does you may need to add an exception. Try disabling UAC and testing.

look at event viewer to see if that shows what is happening there is a KB for an older version of Act! which you could also have a look at http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23807

You can always either create a bat file to close the application or run the following in a command prompt.

taskkill /f /im Act!.exe

But really you need to find why it's not closing correctly.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Can you test if it works under a different windows profile?

Highlighted

HI Chris:

I have tested the suggestions you have mentioned individually and together.

1. Deactivating ESET End Point Security Anti-virus and firewall etc..

2. Disabling UAC

3. Followed the suggestions for an older version of Act! including closing out latest versions of Team Viewer and Actual Windows Multi-screen software etc.

None of these options had any effect.Act! still remained operating in the background when monitoring in Task Manager and would not allow Act! to be restarted physically. The only way was to either end the Act! program in Task Manager after exiting Act! from within the Act! program or use the taskkill option at the command prompt.

It is certainly proving a real challenge to find out exactly what is causing this frustrating problem.

David

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Have you any ACT add-ons running?

Highlighted

Hi Richee:

I will set up another profile and see what results that brings and come back to you the result and be back to you soon.

David

Highlighted

Hi Ch1p:

I did have the add-on linking Act! to Outlook 2019 32 bit, but removed it.

This situation was happening also before I originally added the Add-on.

David