Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to share Act 2011 Pro database over network after move to new server (Windows 7)

Unable to share Act 2011 Pro database over network after move to new server (Windows 7)

We've been running Act 2011 Pro on a small office network, with everyone able to access the database. Our old fileserver (Windows XP) recently crashed and has been replaced with a new machine running Windows 7 Home Premium.

The database file is intact, and can be opened on the server, and the database is shared, but we're unable to access it from any of the client computers. All users can read and write on the drive where the Act database is located. I've turned off Windows Firewall, with the same result, so it doesn't appear to be a firewall problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding undocumented Act tweak that I may need to do, or quirks of sharing from Win 7 Home? (Other clients on the network are running either XP or Win 7).

Thanks in advance,

-Fred 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to share Act 2011 Pro database over network after move to new server (Windows 7)

Hello Fred,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Here is an article with the most common causes for not being able to access a shared database: KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Unable to share Act 2011 Pro database over network after move to new server (Windows 7)

You might also need to make some changes to your Windows Firewall.  Check out KB article19420 for instructions on how to update it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks for the suggestion re: Windows Firewall.

I have (for the moment) turned the firewall off completely, and now get the following result:

I can now "see" the database, get a login prompt, but upon logging in, I get the following error message:

"Cannot find supplemental files folder SALES1-database files in this location <SERVER_NAME>.

This could be problem with the share, or the folder may not exist.

Please contact the administrator of the database."

However, the folder in question is there, in the same location as the database file itself, and appears to be shared properly.

Any further suggestions at this point?

Thanks in advance,

-Fred

Thanks, Greg. I've gone through this list again, and nothing has resolved the issue. Any further suggestions before I break down and pay Sage for a Service Ticket?
Silver Super Contributor

Turn off sharing and then turn it back on again in Tools | Maintenance inside ACT!.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article addressing the 'Supplemental files folder' error: KB Article 14101

Look at the section specific to opening a shared database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Stan -

When I click Tools --> Database Maintenance, the Menu entry to Share Database is greyed out. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks,
-FS
Silver Super Contributor

You need to be logged in as an administrator to share a database.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Stan -

Thanks for this.

I thought I had everything covered, as I was logged in to Act as admin, as well as admin on the machine.

But I just reopened Act using the Windows "Run as Adminstrator" option, and was now able to share the database. Testing on all the client machines now...