Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to restore remote database error "Failed to restore remote database. The SQL Database Instance is unavailable."

Unable to restore remote database error "Failed to restore remote database. The SQL Database Instance is unavailable."

[ Edited ]
When using the File/Restore/unpack and restore remote database

the error message is "Failed to restore remote database. The SQL Database Instance is unavailable.

I have sucessfully completed this operation on one of our laptops but i'm unable to do it for the 2nd.

Both machines have ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367

Both machines are running XP

the 1st laptop is running  SQL server (act7) as well as SQL Server Browser and SQL Server VSS writer; however SQL Server Active Directory Helper is disabled

the 2nd laptop does not have SQL Server (ACT7) listed;  SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) is started, SQL active Directory Helper is Disabled, SQL Server Browser is Disables, SQL Server VSS writer is started.

can you advise?

Regards

Archy

Additional Info:

I have disabled AV scanning on the local machine and i have allowed sqlbrowser.exe and sqlsrver.exe.  I was unclear as to wether or not i should allow these on the network server??

start/run/ACTDiag produces a warning "Could not connect to the SQL server Instance"

Message Edited by Archybald on 09-29-2008 10:11 PM

additional additional infomation
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and during the reinstallation setup.exe encountered a problem and had to close ( iremember this happened during the original install too) - this occured during the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 setup system configuration check
Message Edited by Archybald on 09-29-2008 10:29 PM
Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-30-2008 10:09 AM

Re: Unable to restore remote database error "Failed to resto

I'm just giving this a bump - as i have been unable to resolve this issues myself.

Is there anyone that knows how i might resolve it?

Reviewing the situation, it appears to me that the problem is that SQL Server (ACT7) is not running on the laptop in question.  It appears that the installation of ACT!2009 on that laptop encountered a problem during the instalation of SQL Server.  I'm not able to determine excatly what happened.  As a result SQL Server (ACT7) is not installed on the laptop and the remote database cannot be unpacked.

I thought that i might be able to install SQL Server (act7) separately and that Act!2009 would detect it and all would be ok - but i'm not able to do this from the Act "disk".

Suggerstions?

A

Re: Unable to restore remote database error "Failed to resto

Did anyone figure out this issue.  i am getting the same error but i have vista.  
Copper Contributor

Re: Unable to restore remote database error "Failed to restore remote database. The SQL Databas

I have run into this a few times.   I have always called ACT! tech support and had them install the ACT! SQL instance remotely - usually takes them only about 10 minutes to resolve this issue.

If you want to do it yourself, you can do so using the ACT! CD.  These 2 ACT! knowledgebase articles should help: \

http://tinyurl.com/dxywxl

http://tinyurl.com/c6ucta

Best Regards,

Chuck