Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to remove old data in Act! 2006

Unable to remove old data in Act! 2006

I sync my Act! 2006 calendar and contacts using Act! for Palm OS. There's an old vacation day that alarms on my Palm every morning - the only option is Okay or Snooze. It does not alarm in Act! itself.

In the Act! calendar, the vacation day has been cleared. I've tried to unclear and erase it, but get a message saying it has been deleted by its organizer and cannot be uncleared. I'm the only user of the database.

I've run through the repair options with support - have tried to remove old data, but EVERY activity and event (including future ones) are removed. I've created a new database, then exported the contacts - but the problem recurs in the new database. I've run ActDIAG, and gone through all the repair options.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get rid of this annoyance? I don't want to pay the outrageous fee to have my database "professionally" repaired for this one issue, but I'm considering dumping Act! entirely and using Outlook if I can't get rid of it!

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to remove old data in Act! 2006

Does the activity show in the ACT! Task List - set it to all types, dates and users.

Yes, Mike - it's in the Task List, and is crossed out as if cleared. If I right-click it, I receive the same message about it's having been deleted by its organizer, and can't be uncleared.

BTW, there are over 2000 cleared past tasks on this list! I tried using the "remove old data" function, and everything disappears, including all my future appointments, etc.

And when I tried to do that in the Beta version (I know, I probably shouldn't have done that), it was really weird. I asked it to clear everything more than 180 days old, and instead it left everything more than 180 days old in the database, and removed everything newer and everything in the future.  

Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Mary,

There is a possibility that you have some issues with the activities or activity table within the database. Since you have tried the purge old data, but still see the entries, you may have activities orphaned within the sql tables.

Having said that, because you have tried an import into a new database and that did not clean up the issue, your next step might be to send the database into database services. They can clean out the old data via the SQL tables that should clean up anything orphaned or damaged.

You can find more info here: Database Services

Platinum Elite Contributor

To hide the past cleared activities, iIn the Task List, click options (top right) and turn off Show Cleared.

The fact that the ACTDIAG Purge cleared activities also removes open activities seems to point to some corruption in the activities tabe that would need to be repaired

Did you solve this problem?

No, mainly because I wasn't willing to pay for Tech Support to scrub my database. It's a small but annoying issue.