Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to reinstall ACT 2007

Copper Contributor

Unable to reinstall ACT 2007

I have been running ACT 2007 since 2007 on two PCs running XP Pro with one synchronize db.  Recently the remote PC running ACT in a sync mode has been locking up after launching the application.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice and it still locks up after launch.  Anyone experienced similar problem?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to reinstall ACT 2007

Hello Avhawaii51,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Can you provide additional details to your issue:
At what point is the program locking up? Are you able to get to your contacts? Is it a particular function that causes it to lock up?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

After the splash screen and I am on the main data window, clicking any menu item or field causes it to freeze.

To identify if the issue is specific to the database:
- Close ACT!
- Locate the demo database (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 9\Databases)
- Double click on demo PAD file
This will launch ACT! and open the demo > test
Greg Martin
Sage

I have a similar propblem with ACT 2007.  My old computer died and I am attempting to re-install ACT 2007 (9.0) on my new desktop.  Initially tried copying ACT directory from old disk to new "C" drive - That did not work.  Then downloaded the ACT 9.0 update file from this site.  It aborts during installation with error message "Z_StrActNotFound". 

HELP!  - I really need to get access to my customer database.  My old computer was running Windows XP, new one is on Windows 7 if that matters.  I was able to locate my customer Serial# and Activation code, but cant get far enough to re-register.

Any ideas on how to get past this error and re-install on my new computer?  (I would prefer not to upgrade, as the old version does everything I need)

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2007 isn't supported on Windows 7.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

The demo database does run and I am able to go through the various contacts.  Where do I go from here?

Since it appears to be database specific, I would perform maintenance on the main database using ACTDiag.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 26854

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Should I perform the maintenance on the remote computer DB (where I cannot run ACT) or should I do that to the main DB on my base computer (where ACT is running normally)?  Since the problem is with ACT on the remote computer I have been using the main computer to continue adding contacts.  Would it work if I delete the remote computer's ACT DB and export out to that computer the DB from the main computer and then re-establish the sync again?

Run maintenance on the remote database (that isn't responding).

You may or may not be able to import the data from the 'bad' remote - depending on what is causing the issue.  If the maintenance does not resolve the issue, go ahead and create a new remote to restore on the workstation and test open/syncing with it.  If successful, continue using it.

Generally when importing a 'broken' remote, we recommend an Export by opening the remote database and performing a Contact Activity search for a date near the time the remote stopped synchronizing, then use the Export function - selecting Current Lookup.  This would be to reduce the amount of data being exported.  Since you can't work within the database, that doesn't sound like an option.

You may be able to use the Import function from the new remote, to pull in the old remote data.

Keep in mind that importing/exporting data from a corrupted database has the potential of introducing the issue into the receiving database.

Greg Martin
Sage