Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to register ACT 2010 on a new computer.

Unable to register ACT 2010 on a new computer.

I am trying to install ACT! 2010 on a new computer running Windows 7 Professional, but I can not register it. I keep getting a message that says We are unable to register ACT! To register at a later time, restart ACT!. I need help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to register ACT 2010 on a new computer.

Hello Jmabnash,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Since this is a Windows 7 operating system, open the ACT! program using the 'Run as administrator' option.  To do this: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run as Administrator' > attempt to register.

If it continues to fail, send me a Private Message (click on my community username and use Send A Message option in right hand column) with your serial number.  I will check the registration tolerance and reset if necessary.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I am having the same issue and followed your instructions. Running as administrator doesn't change anything.   I have called the registration number to register by phone and their solution is to email some links to read that have nothing to do with registration problems.

The problem is everytime I go to register it says unable to register, please try again later.

Firewall is off.

Antivirus is off.

I have reinstalled ACT on the same computer over the last 3 years about 3-4 times for various reasons.  New Hard Drive, new OS, reinstall of my OS and now have a new computer as the old one gave up the ghost.  I did mention this to the lady I spoke with on the phone and that may have exceded the allowed number to install and she said nothing other than confirmed my email address to send me some links that are useless.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Brian,
Please send me your ACT! serial number via private message in this forum so I can verify it. Also indicate the version of ACT! you are trying to install as well as the operating system your computer has. To send me a private message, click my user name on the left, then "Send this user a private message" on the right.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Did you try the solution in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1372...

Another reason is that the Protexis License Service is not running or damaged. Click your Start button, and the Search box type "services.msc". Locate the Protexis Licensing V2 service and ensure it is started.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greig,

Thanks for the info.  I followed the KB article.  Would not register.  Protexis License Service is running.  Will send you PM with info requested on previous post.

[ Edited ]

Your serial number looks good (ACT! 2010 Standard). Issue may be caused by User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7. Close ACT!, then right-click on the ACT! program icon and select Run As Administrator, then attempt to register. If that fails, then try disabling UAC per the instructions in this article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

If this does not resolve, then do a search of your C: drive for a file called RegistrationData.xml and delete it. Then stop/start the Protexis service from the Services screen.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me.

UAC has and always was turned off.  First thing that happens when I use Windows 7 is shut that off.  I double checked and verified it is off.  I did open and Run as administrator as you requested.  No change.

Regarding the second link:

1 - I am logged in as the Administrator.  Always have.

2 - My serial number is valid.  The software was installed from the original disk.  Hot fix 4 has been applied.  Just noticed that there is a Hot Fix 5.  That has been applied.  Tried to register....  No change.  Will not register.

3 - Damaged Windows File - I have already followed these instructions.  There was no change when I followed them.  Protexis License is started.  Just double checked that.

Any other thoughts?

What is the exact error message you are getting when registering and at what point do your get the error?

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

See attached picture.  Step 3 of 6 in the registration process.  Unable to register.  Please register later.

I have tried on numerous occasions.  Same message everytime.

Thoughts?

Registration Message.JPG