Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to purge activities in Act 7

Unable to purge activities in Act 7

Hello,

I've been using ACT since around 1995, and have my life on here. Things have been working well until just recently when my calendar is starting to act really flakey.

When I click on a new week (of activities) it paints a gray (black) calendar, waits around 15 seconds and says:

Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your setup.

When I reboot and reenter, it sometimes works for hours, and sometimes repeats this action right away

I tried to delete some old activities (I know I have too many) it gives the following error:

Invalid length parameter passed to the substring function.

Database Purse error occurrred with CLEAREDACTIVITES - PURGE TBL_ACCESSOR_ACTIVITY

The statement has been terminated.

Sometimes when things are working, I can do everything except "click and drag" to add a new event on certain days.

Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would be glad to upgrade to the newest ACT version if I had some indication that this problem would be solved.

Thanks,

Craig

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to purge activities in Act 7

Have you opened the Demo database to see if the same thing happens in it?  If it doesn't, then it is something within your database.  The next step is to create a backup of your database (File > Backup > Database), then run Database Maintenance on it from the Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair option.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

Thank you for responding to my post.

Yes, I have tried to demo database, and it works just fine. I have also run the database diagnosic and repair, but with no improvement,

Two things..

1.) Would it be helpful if I sent you the log files from the database diagnostic? If so, where should I send it?

2.) Is there anything I can do to "lay all the data out in a flat manner and have the system rebuild the keys"? .. I feel there

is something pretty messed in the linkages that may have happened years ago and only comes out once in a while.

Thanks,

Craig

Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Craig,

Thank you for the offer of the logs, at this point I don't think that will be necessary.

There is a way to rebuild the keys and associations, it involves creating an Empty Copy of your database and then importing your existing database into the new empty copy.

- to create an Empty Copy: in your database > go to File > Save Copy As > give it a new db name and select 'Create an Empty Copy of the database'

- open the new Empty database and import your original database using File > Import. 

Here is a document that better explains all of the steps for the import: Best Practices Import/Export

Note: This process will correct a lot of issues with data, but does not correct everything.  It is definitely worth trying.

Greg Martin
Sage