Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to open database after rebooting computer

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Unable to open database after rebooting computer

[ Edited ]

I'm back.... with major problems.  I fired up the computer this morning and when I attempted to open my Outlook 2007 email program it wouldn't open. I got an error message "ACT Address Book service is not properly configured or the configured database Inspection.pad is locked.  "Inspection" is the name of my database.  I then closed Outlook, rebooted and tried again and got same message. I then attempted to open ACT and it wouldn't open. I got the error message "The database Inspection can not be accessed.

I have two hard drives on my computer.  I have the program files on the C drive and data files on the F drive.  Doing a search of both drives I find one "Inspection.pad" file on my F drive but it shows to have been last modified in May 2012 and it will not open in ACT.  Drive C has two ACT Demo .pad files. What happened to my database?  Did uninstalling the LeftAline add in wipe out my database?  When I installed the update it asked if I wanted to backup my database and I said I did but I can't locate that backup either.

I use Carbonite online backup which backs up once daily.  If I attempt to use it to restore my "lost" database is it going to work since the backed up file will be the older version of ACT instead of the updated version?

HELP!!!

Jake

[Edit: subject line updated to reflect topic after move]

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jakebe2
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to open database after rebooting computer

Hello Jake,
These errors would indicate the SQL Server service is not started. Please see this Knowledgebase article for instructions to restart the service:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jakebe2
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello Jake,
These errors would indicate the SQL Server service is not started. Please see this Knowledgebase article for instructions to restart the service:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

That worked!!! Thank you so much! ACT and Outlook 7 are both back in operation. I really appreciate your help.
Silver Contributor

jUST A note, don't rely on carbonite for an ACT backup.  It most likely will fail

Instead backup ACT with the ACT scheduler

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19218/~/how-to-use-the-act!-scheduler-to-au...

If you must restore, reference this article

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19211/~/how-to-back-up-and-restore-a-sage-a...

Carbonite is dangerous for databases because it may not grab the entire database and even then may mismatch files within the database since database are made up of multiple files.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks for the tip!  I'll check into the scheduler and get it set up. Thanks again!

Thanks again for your tip.  Help me out here. I'm having trouble figuring out what file I need to back up. My program files are on my C drive and my data files are on my F drive. My F drive shows ACT in my My Documents folder. In the ACT folder is an "Inspection-database files" folder and three other files all named Inspection (which is my database name) with the file types ADF, .alf and PAD.  I thought PAD was the database file but it only shows to be a 1kb file that was last modified 5/12/12 which I believe is the date I installed ACT.  What do I backup with the ACT Scheduler?

Thank you,
Jake

Bump.

[ Edited ]

When setting up the ACT! Scheduler to do an automatic backup, using the database .PAD file. If you are using a third-party program like Carbonite, you have it back up the .ZIP file (which is the ACT! backup created).

Your ACT! database has 4 files:

.PAD - pointer file for database (text) - only used to open the database (primarily if database is on another machine)
.ADF - your actual database file - this is where all your ACT! data resides
.ALF - database SQL log file
[database name] - database files folder: supplemental database files (layouts, templates, attachments, etc)

Greig Hollister

Two quick questions:

1. I'm still not totally clear on what file to tell ACT Scheduler to back up since there are multiple files in the ACT database.  I'm assuming I should direct it to back up the .ADF file since you indicate that is where all my ACT data reside? The other files don't need to be backed up?

2. I'm still having a problem opening ACT and Outlook.  Starting or restarting the two SQL entries in services does not "stick". When I reboot the computer and re-open ACT and Outlook I have to go back into services and start them again.  What's going on with that and how do I get it to start on it's own?

Thank you,

Jake

1. When selecting the database to backup in the Scheduler, choose .PAD file. This tells the ACT! to backup that particular database.

2. Right-click on the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service, select Properties and make sure the Startup Type is 'Automatic"

Greig Hollister