Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to open database after move to new computer

Unable to open database after move to new computer

[ Edited ]

I have a trial verson of ACT 2011.  My computer using Act 2010 crashed.  I copied the disk to my new external drive ( both Windows 7).  NOW I can't figure out how to access my data and import it into ACT 2011. Please help as I am extremely frustrated.

Craig

[edit: changed Subject to match issue]

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to open database after move to new computer

Hello Craig,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Where is your database currently located? Do you have a backup (.zip) of your database?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for your response.  My database was on my C drive, the computer crashed so I had it backed up to an external 3tb dirve.  They copied the entire drive to e:\microsoft backup.  I then searched for the appropriate *.zip files and *.pdf files.  I tried opeing them but it always kicks me out.Thanks again

Aditional information: Windows Vista 7 (reinstalled) Priginal; database 2010, installed trial version of 2011.

Thanks again

Platinum Super Contributor

Look for the following file type '*.ADF'. This is the main file of a database. When located, copy the following files/folder to a folder on the C: drive (ex: C:\ACT Database):
- ADF
- ALF
- '-database files' (folder)

Then attempt to open the database using the ADF. Within ACT! File > Open Database > change 'Files of Type' to ADF > locate ADF > open.
Greg Martin
Sage

Greg, I tried copying thew files and following your instructions.  It wants my user name and password.  I am fairly confident there is no password, but I am unsure of my user name.  it would be a combination of my name ie ecraigwilhelm, emmettcraigwilhelm,ecwilhelm, etc.  Is this sensitive for capitalizations? Are spaces allowed?  I am determined to get back my data, assuming I don't go crazy in the meantime.  Thanks you are the best.

Platinum Super Contributor

Try different variations of your name, leaving the password blank. If you remember how your name was listed on your 'My Record' record, that is generally how the user name is spelled. Don't forget to try variations of 'firstname lastname', or 'firstinitial lastname', etc...

It will kick you out after 3 failed attempts, but doesn't lock you out. Just re-open it and keep trying.

User name is not case sensitive (password is).
Greg Martin
Sage