Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to open a specific database

Unable to open a specific database

I recently had to wipe my disk clean and reload all my programs.  I did save my Act databases in my documents and I am able to open all the databases but one.  It says something like unable to open database.  Make sure I am connected to a network server.  Any ideas on how I can get this database to open.

James

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to open a specific database

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

What's the exact error message?

How did you save the databases?

Did you change the name of the machine when you re-loaded?

Mike:

I am using ACT 9.0.  All my databases were created in 8.0.  They are saved in databases that say 8.0.  All the databases open in 8.0 even though when I click on them it comes with an updating window first but then they do open. 

The errror message says the following:

"The database jcurran cound not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is availabile.  it may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or your server."

When I click OK to this drop down error it goes to another window where is is looking at databases from 9.0.  I only have one database in that folder which is a demo.

Operating system is Windows XP.

The database was saved by the person who did the clean disk.  He saved all the database files together along with all my other data from the documents folder.  Like I said above all the other databases in the Act folder are working just fine....just not this one which is the main one that I use.

Try deleting the database PAD file.

Then, in ACT! - File | Open

Change the file type to ADF

Try opening the database (it should create a new PAD for next time) 

Mike:  I went into my documents.  Under the ACT folder/ databases I can see all the individual databases.  Each one has a PAD file, including the one that does not open.  Also each file has and ALF file, including the one that does not open.  Are you suggesting that I delete the jcurran PAD file?  Just want to make sure before I make a giant mistake.

James

I'm having the exact same problem and error message.  I tried your solution of deleting the PAD file and it didn't work.  I still get the same error message.  What next?

2FST4GM wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem and error message.  I tried your solution of deleting the PAD file and it didn't work.  I still get the same error message.  What next?

You didn't say what version of ACT!... but, assuming ACT! 2007 or 2008, you might try following each of the steps listed in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3mkwh6

I have version 2008.  I was up until 4:00am trying all the things described in those docs.  All morning today, I've been trying to restore from backup software and each time I try something different but get the same result and error message.  In the Diagnostic program, my database shows up as SUSPECT.  Does this mean I'm hosed?