Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to open Database after moving to another computer

Unable to open Database after moving to another computer

Looks like I may have done this incorrectly.  I backed up and moved all of my Act! 2008 database files to another computer.  But, I did not use Act! to backup the files.  I just saved the directories to an external drive and re-copied to the other computer.  Now, I can't open the database and strangely, I can't seem to find a database file that has a recent date that would match when I last used it. 

Appreicate any suggestions.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to open Database after moving to another computer

It is likely that the database files won't be properly copied that way unless you stopped the SQL services first.

If you still have access to the old machine, do a file backup. Then, on the new machine, file | Restore | restore as

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the machine since it was reformatted...  Is there anything I can do?  I did backup the entire drive including all program files etc....  thanks for the help.
Copper Super Contributor

If all the database files copied over properly, in the main root folder holding the database you should have:

.ADF file (main database file)

.ALF file (database supplementry file)

.PAD file (pointer file)

database supplimentry files folder and sub directories

If you have those, try deleting the .PAD file and opening the database from the .ADF file. IF all the files came over properly, the database should reattach itself to that machine and open fine. If not, something else is wrong. What error message are you getting?

Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

I can't do anything because it keeps stating, "There are not enough licenses in this database to allow you to log in.  Please contact your administrator."  I've got the databases backed up properly I believe.  I've probably backed up the database 6 times now.  But when I go to restore anything I get the message above.  In fact as soon as I double click on the ACT software icon the software loads and then this message comes up.  I'm thinking about starting all over again for the 4th time, uninstalling everything, delete all the backup databases and then try to install the software and back up the databases again.  You have any other idea's.

Thanks

Erik Thrawl

651-341-5642