Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to install from Backup

Copper Contributor

Unable to install from Backup

Hi,

I'm getting a very long winded error message when I try installing ACT onto a new computer from a backup.

It looks similar to this: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2395...

Except mine shows Operating System Error 2 and in parenthesis I have (They system cannot find the file specified.)

I'd post it exactly but there isn't a way for me to upload pictures from my computer here.

I've made sure I'm doing Restore As and I've tried getting the backup/zip file from a shared drive and also tried putting it on the computer I'm trying to install it on (In a different folder.) but nothing is working.

Can anyone offer help on this?

Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to install from Backup

Does the error message provide the file that it cannot locate?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I'm not sure what you're asking.

It says "Cannot open backup device" then it gives a location on the C drive.

If you're asking if it gives a location after saying it cannot locate the file, it doesn't look like it, but i'm not sure since the error message is fairly long and very hard to understand.

Thanks!

Copper Contributor

I may have found the issue.

What I'm trying to do is install ACT on another computer and what I did was that I backed up ACT to one of the company's shared drives, and have been trying to install it on the new computer from there.

Do I need to put the backup on a CD and use the CD to reinstall it on the new computer?

Employee

You're probably getting the error message because you are trying to install from the shared drive. Try moving the install resources local to your machine.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Well, that wasn't it.

I copied the backup from the shared drive to the new computer and I'm still getting the error.

Just to see what would happen though, I did Restore instead of Restore As and got a different error. This one said "The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT Backup."

I took at look at the zip file and it shows a File Size of 141,105 KB but when I open the zip file, 4 files are there and 3 show 1 KB size while 1 has 0.

Any ideas??

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Is there anyone who can offer a suggestion on this? Smiley Sad

wvp
Loyal Listener

Perhaps you should attempt a fresh backup from your original machine?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Thanks.

Not sure if you mean doing a brand new backup?

If so, i did try that but I'm still receiving the error. Unfortunately. Smiley Sad

wvp
Loyal Listener

Ok, so you have an existing computer running Act right now.  Did you do a backup of the database through the file menu in ACT or did you make a copy of the ACT directory containing the database? (this will not work).

I'd make a fresh backup of your existing ACT database onto a usb stick.  Bring it to the new machine and do a "restore as" to the local drive of the new machine.