Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to get user name and password for act 2005

Unable to get user name and password for act 2005

Hi,

My name is Ramon and in my company we purchased act 2005 long time ago (I just started working about a year and a half ago here). Software hasn't been updated and in the way it works, is that we created 3 databases for 3 branches that we have within the company (that is 3 pad files that need to be opened)

All of a sudden, 2 of the databases are working, but on one of them while we try to log in (even with the Administrator's user name and password) we get the following error message:

"Could not authenticate user. Verify the user name and password, and try again"

I tried some solutions from the sage knowledgebase, but without success. For example I went into the "act7diag"  and tried the different options there, like fixing the database, or even detaching the database, and updating it when opening act again, but none of this worked.

The same users are the ones used on the other 2 databases (so somehow they are linked I would say, although I don't have enough knowledge to say how). Anyhow, the login for these users (including the admin) works on the other 2 databases, but not on this particular one that I'm trying to solve.

Has someone been through the same problem before? If so, I would really appreciate if someone can give me a hint on how to fix this problem. (as you guys may know, sage doesn't support legacy databases, so 2005 is pretty much not supported at all by them)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to get user name and password for act 2005

Thanks Very much for the answer!

I already tried the detaching of it link that you sent me before but with no success ....

I know there are a couple of links in there for other topics which I haven't tried out though (example: the sync function). I don't have lot of expertice with act 2005, and I don't know if they are relevant, as the error message not just happens remotelly when our finance group tries to open the database with act installed on their PC (by going into their mapped drive on the network where the pad file for that database is located), but also happens when you try to open the database from the actual server PC.

Again, thanks for the answer....

something silly that I haven't actually tried yet is to do a full recovery from the last zipped backup, as this would potentially delete about a week of data... so I was trying to restrict myself from doing this. If I don't find a solution though I'll have to do this as a last resort....

Silver Super Contributor

Raymon,

Find a local ACT! consultant.  They can most likely get you back in the database and save you from having to restore a week old copy.  You can find a local ACT! consutant at www.act.com/acc.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Super Contributor

I don't have Act7diag to test with, but within the Act7diag utility should be an option for Audit Logs (I believe it is listed under Databases). Look through these reports to try and verify the user name.
Greg Martin
Sage
Silver Super Contributor

Looks like that link doesn't work any more.  Here is the new link.

http://www.act.com/Partners/Certified-Consultants

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks Very much for all the answers....

I saw the log files, and surprisingly there's a user listed which I don't recognize. I don't know how exactly this happened as I don't work on a daily basis with the database as the accounting and finance department, but by what I've heard, all of a sudden the information one day was stored with this user's name (which in fact was a customer). When I went to the "manage users" option, I had to delete this user, as I don't know who added this user, or why it was added all of a sudden.

Besides this, the other users on the log files are employees that were in the company several years ago, but no signs of current users (which is weird)

I also tried performing a backup, but it asks me for the user name and password, and when I type the admin user name and password, and start (or attempt to start) the backup process, it gives me the same error message.

I'll try getting in touch with a certified consultant...

Thanks for all the help everyone!... if someone has some extra ideas they are always welcomed.

Best Regards,

Ramon