Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to edit default Surname and First Name fields in Act v21

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Unable to edit default Surname and First Name fields in Act v21

Version: Act! Pro Version 21.0.295.0, Update 7. Just installed the latest service pack.

Database type: The database is hosted on my computer, and other users access it. The Act! Database was created by someone that wasn't me over 10 years ago in 2008. We recently upgraded to Act v21 from v17.

Other apps: Handheld Contact

OS: Windows 10 Pro, recently installed and fully updated.

I am unable to edit the "Surname" field, and the "Name" field. Please look at the images I linked so you can see that I've tried a lot of different things.

I want to be able to edit the "First Name" field, and the "Surname" field. They are currently empty for almost all contacts. We are currently using other custom fields for these details, however I want to use the official name fields because Handheld Contact (a mobile phone add-on for Act) only supports the official fields.

https://i.imgur.com/p5KGAhI.png

I have set up a new layout that has the two custom name fields, and I am able to edit them. However, on the same layout I have the official "Name" and "Surname" fields, and I am unable to edit. I can click into them to start typing, but when I type nothing happens.

https://i.imgur.com/Kt66YM2.png

Even in Edit mode in list view I am unable to add to the real fields.

https://i.imgur.com/21ugn1u.png

I've gone through the define fields section and I couldn't find those official First Name and Surname fields. My user account is a full administrator, and has full access to the database.

I appreciate any help that you have to give.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author SunnySkies
‎04-26-2019 10:05 AM

Re: Unable to edit default Surname and First Name fields in Act v21

Hi 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Those are system fields that are parsed from the contact field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Since I have not moved to Ver 21, I may be missing something in your explanation, but if you are editing one at a time, why not just retype the whole name?  

I'm sort of curious as to why the name fields are blank to begin with? 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 1TB HDD.

The ACT! database has always had the separate system First Name and Last Name fields. That was what allowed the contact name to be entered first name last name or last name , first name. The comma controlled how the First Name and Last Name fields were filled by the system from the contact name. In early versions the parsing was automatic but later versions provide the dialog that allows control of the parsing to fill the name fields.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Act is garbage
Bronze Super Contributor

This question and help to a new user is the purpose of the forum.  

I appreciate the fact that you think comment ACT is garbage, but it would helpful to know what caused you to post such a response?  I'm not an ACT certified consultant, but maybe I could lend a hand.  

Sometimes simple things can be frustrating with any software program.  For example, for the last week and a half, I have not been able to look up my co-workers.  Well apparently I inadvertently unchecked a box in the lookup name dialogue box that says "Include Users" - a co-worker would be a user.  Certainly didn't do that on purpose, but the problem was addressed when I was asked if that box was checked or not.

So, how can we help you with ACT?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159

OK. Thank you for your response. 

I'm wondering then, how do I fill those fields in? 

You mention the "Contact Field", but when I go to edit this field, I am unable to add any details to the Contact Area. 

https://i.imgur.com/z4TtDKJ.png

I appreciate any help you can provide.

The name fields are mixed up because 12 years ago when Act! was setup, someone had created new fields for the name, and last name. Since information was filled into those fields for 12 years, the other real fields have not been filled in. That's why I want to copy the information from the custom field into the real field in Act!

But I am unable to edit the real field's contents at all. 

Any ideas??

You'll have to do it one ar a time but the easy way is to click on the ellipsis button at the end of the contact field and re-specify the parsing of the contact field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Since this database is 12 years old, I'm wondering if somewhere in the past, the CONTACT field was changed to read only.  That would make sense if whomever was the admin did that so users would use the new fields to separate the first and last name.  

Assuming you are the administrator, do the following:

•  Go to Tools
  •  Select Define Fields
  •  Select the Contact field
  •  Select Security
  •  If this is the problem, under default permission you will see READ ONLY.  
     This can apply to specific users or to everyone, but you do have to be administrator.

Also, Roy added additional editing information about parsing the elements of the contact name.

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 20.0.159