Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to do Keyword Search

Copper Contributor

Unable to do Keyword Search

[ Edited ]

I'm not able to search by keyword anymore.

I'm not able to use either Lookup / Advanced / Search on Keywords or the Search bar on the left  Unfortunately, I can't tell youj when this started since I can't remember the last time I used it. It couldn't have been more than a month ago, though.

We upgraded to 2012 but I know I was able to search after the upgrade and I we haven't made any other changes.

I should add that when I try to do a search nothing happens. No box comes up with the results and it's like I hadn't tried to do a search at all.

I'm specifically trying to seach our Notes for certain keywords.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to do Keyword Search

To help isolate the issue:

- Is this a shared database? (do others access it)

- If yes, do they also have the same issue?

- If others do not have the issue, sign into the database on their machine with your username and test.  Is it specific to your username?

- Open the ACT! demo database (or create a new database) and test the functionality.

- Is it specific to the 1 database, or happen in the test db also?

If it appears to be specific to your computer, it may be damaged Sage ACT! preference files.  Use the option 'Alternate Method: Manually Rebuild Preferences' in this article: KB Article 14770

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks!

I'll take your suggestions.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Greg,

We're still unable to do a keyword search. I want to add that this is specifically on Notes.

This is a shared database and the other people who share it are unable to do a keyword search, as well.

We need to get this ability back.  We moved the database from my computer to a server and this may be why we've lost it but we need to get it back.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tested this in the demo database (or any other database)?

If I understand correctly: you go to Lookup > Advanced > Search on Keywords and do get the Search on Keywords dialog box.  After entering criteria, click Find Now, nothing happens.  Is that correct?

Does it reset the fields at that point?

Are you able to do a Keyword search with all 'Look in' options selected?  and 'Search these records' = All?

What are the criteria you are selecting on the Keywords screen?

You mention having moved the database: to see if this is computer specific, create a backup of the database (File > Backup > Database) to restore on a different (or the original) computer and test.  Use the File > Restore > Database > Restore As option and give the restored database a sufficiently different name to prevent confusion.

Greg Martin
Sage

May I jump into this discussion even though my problem with Keyword search is slightly different?

Hello Wayne8,
If the issue is different, it would be best to start a new post. To help keep the topics/resolutions more easily identified.
Greg Martin
Sage