Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to create remote database

Unable to create remote database

I'm assisting a client with setting up remote database synchronization for his ACT!.  Client is running ACT! 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.1.199 on Windows Vista 32-bit.  Service Pack 1 for Vista has not been installed yet, and User Account Control (UAC) has been disabled.

When attempting to create the remote database, the following error message is generated:

"Failed to create remote database <name>.  The system cannot find the file specified Please contact the administrator for more help. Would you like to create another remote database?" 

We have tried numerous times to create this database - such as using different folders, file names, "run as administrator" (despite the ineffectiveness of this option UAC is disabled), running a database repair before trying to create the remote database.  None of these methods worked.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Unable to create remote database

Hi

You could creating a new folder right under the local root drive ( like the 'c' drive), make sure you give permission to this folder for everyone and the user proflie that you've logged in to the computer and then try creating the remote datadase.

That did it, thanks.

I had assumed that, since I was able to create a folder under the system root, that I had the appropriate permissions to save files into that folder.  Under XP, that was the case, but apparently they changed that under Vista. 

bjr

I'm getting exactly the same error msg - "Failed to create remote database <name>.  The system cannot find the file specified Please contact the administrator for more help. Would you like to create another remote database?"

I am running on SBS 2003 SP2. I have tried creating the DB in a few directories, but all get the same error. I am logged on as the (domain) Administrator and am able to create files/folders no problem.

This is my first experience with ACT.

Any thoughts ? TIA.

I'm hoping to find the solution to this as well.  Besides this it won't let me download the Act Updates because apparent Act! doesn't believe I'm an admistrator in Windows even though I am.  There has to be a patch or fix to this I would think.  Seems to be a problem that many of us are experiencing.  The idea of creating a folder on C: and checking the permissions was fruitless for me.  I'm running Vista (yuck wish I could have got XP with my new system) This has got to be a coding error with the way Act! detects your admin privilages.  Tried to call tech support but apparently they are only availble Mon-Friday.  I'm still under my free 30 day support window so hopefully if I don't get a reply here with a fix I will get one from them and then post if for all. 
bjr

I was able to create the database when I was actually at the console of the server (SBS 2003), rather than via an RDC connection. Looks like poor coding to me.

Still no joy.  I was at the client I was using as a "server" for the main database.  Hopefully I will be able to get through to Customer Serivce tomorrow.

I got the fix from this on another thread supplied to me by Mike Lazrus so I can't take the credit for this but wanted to share it here for those looking for the real fix to this.  At least if you're runing Window Vista.  Follow the link below as Mike gave me and turn off UAC which if memory serves me right stands for User Access Control. 

"Try turning off Windows UAC as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article" - http://tinyurl.com/4lxkwv

Tuned Listener

Just a small troubleshooting step.

We do not yet know whether its a damaged database you have or a damaged installation.

I would suggest creating a new database (File -> New database) and then trying to create a remote from that into a folder in the root of C:\. If it works with the new database then we can troubleshoot your database -> if it doesn't then I'd guess you have a damaged installation of ACT!