Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to convert ACT! 6.0 database to ACT! 2008 (10.0)

Unable to convert ACT! 6.0 database to ACT! 2008 (10.0)

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks, we too have been struggling with an Act v6 - v10 conversion for the last year.

We have approx 8300 contacts and approx 10 years history / notes. Each conversion I have attempted to run has either failed on "Attempted to read or write to protected memory. This is often an indicator that other memory is corrupt" or more commonly "Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))"

We have run the ActDiag tool a number of times to no avail and in the end we purchased the Red Flags software from Cornerstone in an attempt to manage / fix the issues ourselves but we hit the same issue consistently.

I have googled the above error message and got responses that related to sharepoint server so no help there.

Act support have already stated that we have corruption in our data that they are unable ( or simply unwilling ) to fix and that a 3rd party may be able to help us.

We enlisted the help of CICorp back in July but still dont have a complete conversion from them (another matter we are still trying to get resolved).

The problem seems to be when the conversion process gets to step 5 of 6 (converting Notes and Histories). So at this point we have stripped out data on a per year basis and run conversions after each year dropped but still get the same error. I ran another conversion this morning after removing all data prior to jan 1st 08 and yet again another failure has occurred.

Now we are faced with running both versions of Act side by side, Act v6 will be made read only so that no additional changes can be made & Act V10 will be started from a converted empty copy of the v6 DB as we have previously converted an emtpy copy without error.

Not the scenario we wanted but we are being forced to go this route becase our Act v6 is becoming so unstable we are having to ask people to log out of act on a daily basis to perform remedial work before letting them back in.

If anyone has any other ideas on how we can get our Act v6 data succesfully converted I would be most grateful.

regards

Tony

Message Edited by dlunceford on 11-26-2008 11:36 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to convert ACT! 6.0 database to ACT! 2008 (10.0)

The error you are getting indicates serious internal corruption in the database, most likely an internal broken link. That type of error typically can only be repaired by someone familiar with the internal structure of the database and able to use a hex editor to repair the broken link(s). Here is the link to the list of Sage recommended ACT! 3-6 repair sites. http://www.act.com/support/databaseservices/databaserepair/

If you send me a private message I can direct you a person that did database repair for Sage before they closed the Eugene site and stopped doing ACT! 3-6 database repair. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm have a similar problem, converting act 6.0 to act 2008.  I suceeded migrating my contacts by creating the CSV file, but can't figure out how to migrate my notes, activities, etc.   Act 2008 did not recgnize my backup ACT 2008 zip file.  

thanks in advance

Alex

San Francisco

You can only move the notes and history by having ACT! convert the database. ACT! 7 and later won't recognize the backup from ACT! 6 and before but those backups can be expanded using Winzip and the expanded files converted.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

>>You can only move the notes and history by having ACT! convert the database.<<

Thank you for the timely reply!

I'm unclear as to what I'm supposed to convert the 6.0 database too though, (i.e. steps involved).  Does this mean I have to purchase ACT 7.0, then convert my 6.0 database to 7.0 and then again to ACT2008?

Just go to File | Open Database in ACT! and change the file type to DBF and then open the old database and it puts you into the converter.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Mike and Roy.

Roy's suggestion of resaving ACT! 6.0 (in my older laptop) as a dbf file worked!!.  I saved my aCT!6.0 onto an external HDD, and used ACT2008 (on my newer laptop) to open the file.  It worked.  Everything converted to ACT!2008, (except  alternate contacts from ACT! 6.0) .  ACT!2008 runs a bit slower even on my brand new laptop, but at least I won't have to worry my older laptop dying and taking everything with it. or running two ACT programs and laptops parallel.

Again, THANK YOU!