Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to change admin user

Unable to change admin user

[ Edited ]

Hi, first post here, hopefully my last! My Wife has ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1 with one license. This is a home install on Windows 7 ultimate  SP1. I am an advanced systems admin and can make changes as they will be needed.

She has been working somewhat restricted in this DB for years and only recently brought this to my attention as she needs to do a bulk import and she cannot because all the admin options are grayed out. She can't make administrative changes or perform many critical functions.

She is licensed for 1 user and there are 2 users. We don't know who the 2nd user is and suspect the name was the original Admin at a previous company which closed their doors 8 years ago. She is a std user and there is another user who we need to remove who is listed as the record manager just about everywhere I look and need to delete that user and make her the record manager.

I have installed a trial of ACT! 2010 and searched for hours this afternoon looking for the method to make changes as I am sure this has occured before.

What do I do to make these changes?

Thank you,

Gnarley

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to change admin user

You can see if she's an Admin from Help | About
That will also show the number of licenses

You can use ACTDIAG to find user names as per:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14150

As noted, She is a std user, I checked this by going to Help | About | Database information

Oh, if she is at least a Manager (you can tell in Help | About), here is another option:

- Create a new database (you will be the admin of this new database)
- Use File > Import option to import the original database into the new database.
- For instructions on importing a database, see this article:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22042

Oh, only Std ... then use the link in my first post to try and find the name of the Admin

How many licenses in Help | About?

1 license and I have the admin full name

You might try moving the database to the system with the trial ... it shouldn't have a limit.

See if you can log in as the Admin (if no password or you can guess it)
Make you wife an admin
Make the other account inactive
Move the database back

If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact database repair

You might try moving the database to the system with the trial ... it shouldn't have a limit. I did this and does not show any limit

See if you can log in as the Admin (if no password or you can guess it) Tried and don't know the actual login name and can't break in
Make you wife an admin No can do, no rights to do so, this IS WHAT I'm trying to do!
Make the other account inactive
Move the database back

If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact database repair I don't believe this and know there is some way to edit the tables in SQL

You should be able to get the login name from the ACTDIAG link above ... or did you mean password?

I'm running ACTDIAG and not sure where to find the actual admin login name