Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to attach sent or receive msgs to contact from outlook

Tuned Listener

Unable to attach sent or receive msgs to contact from outlook

Hiya,

Due to problems with remote DB, we have decided to access the main database through the network by using the .pad file from the main database on the remote computers.

It works fine but when I try to Attach an email to Act by either doing to quick attach or the manual attach, it just doesnt work.

the act.outlook services is running, I have tried to restart it but the problem remains the same.

I have run The email setup and also created a new rule in outlook for incoming emails.

Still experiencing the same issue!

If I look for errors in the History Queue folder I get the following error msg.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<outlookhistoryerror>
  <error type="LastError">
    <lastdatetime>2010-03-29 14:30:10</lastdatetime>
    <firstdatetime>2010-03-29 14:30:10</firstdatetime>
    <message>Unable to insert a history</message>
  </error>
  <error type="System.Exception">
    <firstdatetime>2010-03-29 14:29:58</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>2010-03-29 14:30:10</lastdatetime>
    <message>Unable to insert a history</message>
    <count>2</count>
  </error>
</outlookhistoryerror>

I have Act 2009 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1

Windows Xp Home

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to attach sent or receive msgs to contact from outlook

Just to double check what is happening:

- you are able to add the Act! address book to Outlook (or you wouldn't have the Attach icons available).

- since you are looking at an item in the History Queue, it appears you are able to get to the list of contacts when clicking on the Attach icon.

- does it record if you initiate the email through Act! (using Outlook as the composing program)?

- do you have multiple Act! databases added to Outlook?

Try this to better isolate error messages:

- stop the Act.Outlook.Service.exe in the Task Manager (End Process) 

- remove all files from the History Queue folder

- restart the Act.Outlook.Service.exe by double clicking on the file at C:\program files\Act\Act for Windows\act.outlook.service.exe

- attempt to manually attach an email

- check History queue for error message

- check the Event Viewer for error mesages

Also try this: 

- open and share the Act! Demo database (username 'Chris Huffman', no password)

- change the Outlook Address Book to reference the Demo > restart Outlook

- test > what are the results?

Are you using only the one workstation?  Or are there others and are they also experiencing the same issue?

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Hi Greg,

It does not work when I create the email from Act!. same thing happen.

-I have messages stuck in the Attach Act! contacts progress. It will try to attach the messages for a while and eventually not doing it. I have tried to stop the progress and remove the emails that did not attach and try again but the same thing happen.

-I have tried to isolate the problem by the method you suggested but didnt work. Didnt try the Event viewer yet and I am not sure how to get there.

-Ok So I have copied a demo.pad file on my computer and open de DB remotely. I logged as Chris Huffman and sent an email from ACT! and it does work.

Change back from demo to my DB and try to send myself an email and it does not work.

Platinum Super Contributor

Update to this case: Alexis called into Act! support > found that they were unable to attach files to the Attachments folder - error: history cannot be created one or more contacts or associations may have been deleted

- were able to attach emails if set to 'subject and message'

- attempted to update security settings to attachment folder, still unable to attach files

- to resolve the issue, moved database to different computer

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Yes that pretty much did the trick,

The problem was not fix but had to move the Database to another computer. Apparently, The Act outlook attach services couldnt transfer the file on the network to this particular computer(XP home). By moving the database we fix the network problem but now have a useless act server!

I will try to install another version of windows and move it back to the server once it's done.

Now my big problem is that I will not be able to access my contact when I am on the road with my laptop(Still have some synchronization problem due to corruption in the database and don't feel like spending more on the database services). My little adventure with my Act vendor just cost me another few hundred of dollars and the problem is still not 100% Fix.

We will work this way for now until we find another piece of software.

Copper Contributor

Just got the same bug with one of my client.

Thanks to your help , i got it fix .

Want to add that you just need to change the security access to the database folder on the server to give full control access to the user. In my case i added "everyone" and gave full control to the folder.

Didier Lachapelle