Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to attach, create, or open demo database. ACT 2009 for Finanacial Professionals

Unable to attach, create, or open demo database. ACT 2009 for Finanacial Professionals

[ Edited ]

Hello.  We were victims of the Sophos issue from last week, and Sophos quarantined and deleted the act.ui.updater.dll and machineConfigUpdater.exe.  The absence of these two files caused ACT to not load on our server.  I tried copying these two files from  a good installation source, but no luck. 

Today I decided to go ahead and try uninstalling and reinstalling ACT 2009 for Financial Professionals on the server, Windows 2003 R2.  Up until this point ACT worked fine, but now I cannot do anything with the database on the server.  Since I could not access ACT on the server, I was not able to backup the database.  You name it, I have tried it from all of the research (Turning on DEP in just windows, uninstalling/reinstalling ACT/SQL, uninstall.exe, etc.), nothing works.  We do not use RDB's, all users connect directly to the database, and are using the same version.  I continue to get a message about "Failed to open a connection to the database" and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  I get this error when trying to reattach this database by opening the .adf file, opening the default database, and trying to create a new database.  However, I am able to connect using Actdiag, have run Reset SA PWD, but that did not work either.

When I look at the SQl error logs I see "Login failed for user 'ACTADMIN'. [CLIENT: 172.16.81.19]"  There will also be an event that says ACTADMIN is locked out.  This could be one of our clients trying to connect to the database since they have ACT open, I do not see this error on our server IP.  I even tried this solution since it almost fits my issue 185279 

Any ideas?  Thank you very much for looking into this.  I am sure I left something out, I will add it as needed.  Thanks.

Re: Unable to attach, create, or open demo database. ACT 2009 for Finanacial Professionals

[ Edited ]

I am now able to open the database on the server and will momentarily be reconnecting everyone.  The messages about ACTADMIN being locked were coming from the clients, because ACT was still open on the other machines.  Once everyone closed out of ACT, I was able to reconnect the database using the .ADF file.  Another example of looking way past the easy solutions first.  Hope this will help someone.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to attach, create, or open demo database. ACT 2009 for Finanacial Professionals

Hello Bmcintosh,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Thank you for posting the resolution to your situation, I'm sure others will find it helpful!
Greg Martin
Sage