Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to attach Database

Unable to attach Database

We have ACT installed on a server and database is being shared by few other users.  When a user does actdiag and "Attach ACT! Database", browse to the data base tries to attach it, he gets a message "You don't have permission to open this file.  Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission."

I tried it on the server and after several tries, it worked.  All sessions were closed, tried it on users computer again, he is still getting the same message.  I have given him full permission on the file. Please help!

Silver Contributor

Re: Unable to attach Database

The database gets attached only once, and that is on the server.  Why are users trying to attached databases?  Are you trying to share out the databases? 

Attaching a database involves attaching (mating the database) to the sql instnance on the machine (usually the server) that the database lives on.  Doing so needs to be done on the server.  Onces this is done, you would then SHARE OUT THE DATABASE, (from the ACT tools menu,, and then just copy the ..pad file out to each users workstation. 

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you.  That clears up some questions.  I have attached the database on the server side.  SHARE DATABASE is checked under tools menu from ACT. There are about 5 databases users work with, Does the system knows automatically to share all the databases?  Is there a specific folder i need to copy .pad file to? Thank you

Silver Contributor

Generally, the few databases you have, the better things are.  Very few businesses need more than one database. To many databases usually reflectes a misunderstanding of How ACT works. 

But that is beside the point.  If you want to have multiple databases, you just share each one out individually, it doesn't matter where you copy the pad files as long as users have permission to the databases to which the pad files point.  a pad file is just a text file pointing to the database. so you could put them all in a single folder, or copy them to each users workstation. 

then to run, each user (assuming they already have ACT installed on their workstation) just opens up the database by opening the pad file.

FYI, if users need to work remotely, you might consider setting up synchronization or one of the other methods of using an ACT database remotely.  Here are someoptions for Accessing ACT remotely

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider