Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Unable to access databases

New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United_Kingdom

Unable to access databases

I recently upgraded to Act 2012 and had no problems converting my old databases, but after our IT Company got their hands on my laptop to change servers I am now unable to access my databases, getting the message that there is already a database of that name and that I should rename it. I have tried deleting the databases but to no avail and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Act only to get the same problem. 

Anybody have any suggestions?

Bronze Super Contributor
Posts: 1,170
Country: USA

Re: Unable to access databases

I take it that the database is on the server, not on your laptop?

 

Did they replace your server with a new one?

 

New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Unable to access databases

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The databases are on my laptop and my laptop has been transferred to a different server. I suspect that the problem lies with the fact that several files were moved around, can't think of anything else.

I have found a work around, I've renamed the original database files and successfully opened them in Act 2012 but I would like to know (if possible)  what the problem is.

Bronze Super Contributor
Posts: 1,170
Country: USA

Re: Unable to access databases

Sorry, I don't understand what it means that the "laptop has been transferred to a different server"...

 

How is it you renamed the original database files?

 

New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Unable to access databases

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear! The original databases were on a different laptop in an earlier version of Act. I loaded the latest Act on my new laptop and successfully transferred the databases across. Our IT people (outsourced) then had my new laptop to set it up with the different servers (my branch of the Company has just been closed down) after which I had the problems which they had no idea how to solve.

From this I went back to my old laptop, renamed the databases and transferred them to my new laptop which worked, but I would be interested to know why, after a reinstall, I still couldn't open the original named databases.