Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to access database

Unable to access database

Hi Hope someone can offer advice. I am now retired from everyday work but still have my database of clients as occasionaly one will call me with a problem and I still wnat to foolow things through. Everything was fine until this week, I attempted to open my MAIN database the onlt one I have and the DEMO database opened. I went to 'OPEN DATABASE' and selected my MAIN database PAD file but got this error message. "The database MAIN could not be accessed. In order for it to be accessed check your network connection and verify that your database server is avaoable. It may be necessary to disable any firewall  software on your computer or the server."

I do not have a server and never have had and I have been able to access the database up until now. The only thing I have done lately is th defrag my hard drive. 

I am using ACT! vv7 (9.0)

I do not have access to technical support as obviously when I closed my business all support contracts were cancelled (cannot afford now or at least justify the expense).

Is there a way of resuing the main database so that I can use it, obviously my back up is out of date now (silly me) whereas I used to back up on a regular basis I have now backed up since I retired. The last back up file is dated Feb 08 and I know that I have been in contact with a few clients since then and would obviously like access to those records if possible.

I was able to go to an old backup file {which is way out of date} and a previous version of ACT! and upgrade it to vv7 (9.0) and open it, but I still cannot access my MAIN database.

If anyone can suggest what I can do if anything to access the database I would be grateful

many thanks

Re: Unable to access database

Are you able to open a different database? 

Make sure the SQL service is started. 

You start it by going to Start -> Run -> net start mssql$act7

Your database may be listed as suspect.  Follow the KB below to verify and fix.

Error" "Cannot Access Specified Database..." and the Database is Listed as SUSPECT in the ACT! Diagn...

Re: Unable to access database