Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to access a database to share it - Act 2010

Copper Contributor

Unable to access a database to share it - Act 2010

Hi All,

We are taken over a company, who have an Act 2010 shared database. We took a copy of the entire directory from the server to try and get ahead of the game, by setting up the 'structure' for Act before the actual move in a weeks time ( we only have a day to move EVERYTHING across, so wanted to test as much before hand as possible but leave them with the live version). 

I have copied all the ACT files onto the server and editted the PAD file to match the new server/file location. When tryiing to access the database, I get an error telling me the database is not shared and I need to share it. This would be all well and good, but I cannot access the database in the first instance - This error pops up.

Any ideas on sharing a database that is throwing up an error telling you you cannnot access it until it is shared?????

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to access a database to share it - Act 2010

Hello djcopa,
I would delete the .PAD file, then attempt to open the database with the .ADF file - this will create a new .PAD file.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I've moved the PAD file out (to my local desktop) but now when I start the ACT app via ADF file it asks me to open database - No PAD file present.
I am in trial mode (don't want to register fully until the other company move across as this would violate license) but I assume trial mode is OK?

Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you opening the .ADF file from the machine where the database resides? You won't be able to directly open an .ADF file through a network - only locally. After removing the .PAD file, open ACT! locally on the database host (server), go to File > Open Database, change Files of Type to .ADF, then open the .ADF file.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hello Again - I'm accessing it direct on the server - Not through a network drive, etc.
Strange thing is, once I copied it out and then back it started to verify - I have now logged in!!! Very Happy! I did change the 'server' from an ip address to the netBios name - Not sure if that would have knocked it into life?

Anyway, I appreciate your time - Thanks!