Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to access ACT! database anymore from remote computers

Unable to access ACT! database anymore from remote computers

Hi everyone,

We have ACT! running on a SQL server, SERVER1. With the ACT! application installed on a frontend terminal server, CTX01.

Now when we try to access ACT! via the CTX01 we get:

"The database CompanyDB could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

• Someone had ACT! running and it crashed just before this started happening. Can see last attachment tmp27.msg dated 15/9/2008 1:46PM. No file locks/open files etc on SERVER1 or CTX01.
  • Restarted the terminal server, still receiving the same error.
  • On the SQL server, SERVER1 – the SQL Server Browser and SQL Server (ACT7) services are running ok. Restarted these – no change. (referring to an ACT! KB article I saw somewhere...)
  • We can run ACT! on SERVER1 and the login screen appears OK and we can Login.
  • The .PAD files are the same on both servers, the hostnames haven’t changed or anything. Contents of PAD file:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
    <!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
    <ACTDatabase name="CompanyDB" host="SERVER1" location="D:\ACT\Act for Windows 10\Databases" type="Sql" />
  • “D:\ACT\Act for Windows 10\Databases\CompanyDB-database files” is shared. Everyone has full access to share. NTFS permissions- read only, system has full access. Not sure if anything else is required? This hasn't changed recently though.
  • Tested DB connectivity, telnet session to SERVER1:ms-sql-s, connected Ok
  • Ran repair on ACT! application on front end server CTX01 – still failed.
  • Ran actdiag on SERVER1, TCP/IP port is 2126 (Dynamically-assigned), with Hide Server set to YES
    Does this make a difference? Would running act locally just use named-pipes or something and this could be why we can't connect anymore? Some changes might have been made to the SQL configuration..

There may have been some changes recently on the backend SQL server SERVER1, which affected network connectivity. Is it possible to specify the port number in the PAD file? (forgive me, I didn't know anything about ACT until this got to my desk).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Gareth

Re: Unable to access ACT! database anymore from remote computers

[ Edited ]

Hmm actually, when I connect to ACT! locally on SERVER1 and run the actdiag it comes up as a LPC connection rather than TCP - maybe this is why it works locally?

The SQL Server Browser service is running, however the DB is hidden - do we need to specify the port number in teh .PAD file?

Thanks

Gareth

Message Edited by garethf on 09-23-2008 07:56 PM

Re: Unable to access ACT! database anymore from remote computers

Try adding the port number in the host= section of the pad file, separated by a comma

ie host="SERVER1,2126"