Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Reinstall ACT! 2006

Unable to Reinstall ACT! 2006

I used Laplink PCMover to migrate from my old laptop to my new. I had some problems getting my ACT! 2006 program to work and when I did so I found that I was unable to upgrade the installation to the latest 8.x version. I decided to uninstall and reinstall. Since I'd also somehow lost the uninstall link in my Control Panel, I followed the procedure for manual uninstall (Answer ID 15285: How to Manually Remove ACT! 2006 for Windows and ACT! 2006 Premium for Workgroups). I have followed this procedure now multiple times and each time the install fails at "updating component registration". I will receive a series of ACT! Error messages like this: Internal Error 2908. {A7B6AA84-4A5B-4B3F-AA5B-9DB320962040}. Each time I click OK I receive another message differing only in the {string}.

I've gotten as many as 7 of these in a row followed by an ACT! Error like this: Error 1935. An error occurred during installation of assembly 'C1.Win.C1Spell,Version="1.2.20041.42",PublicKeyToken="F6F2C1EF135DDBD4",Culture="neutral". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:0x80131700. Each time I've done this the information after assembly has changed, for example, it may reference a 'policy.7.2.Act.Shared...' item. I'll generally only get one 1935 followed by a...

... Feature transfer error - Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

Needless to say I'm extremely frustrated and I will appreciate any advice or guidance anyone can offer in getting this issue rectified. I'm working on a Dell Vostro 1500. I have 2 GB of RAM with 57 GB of available space. I'm using Windows XP Professional, Version 2002 with Service Pack 2.

Thanks,

Tom Gray

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to Reinstall ACT! 2006

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions)
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 1.2 Framework (not 2.0 for ACT! 7/8) from MS web site 
Install ACT! 8.0 full install
Install ACT! 8.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build and the Hotfix 5
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Thanks Mike, to clarify, I can find .Net Framework 1.1 but no 1.2. Was that a typo or am I missing something?

Hi Mike, Followed your procedure exactly but had same result; process aborted at "updating component registration". Do you or does anyone else have further suggestions? I can provide a word file or pdf with the string of error messages I receive if necessary. thanks, Tom

Each time the process stalls at "updating component registration".

When you ran the Uninstaller.exe, did you also remove the SQL components?

It sounds like SQL can't be installed

yes, i did, when i did the manual uninstall. can i install SQL separately and then install ACT!?

Thanks

You can with the later versions, but I don't think this was an option with ACT! 2006.

Obviously something has damaged in the Windows set up in the way the system was copied and now SQL can't properly be installed.

Mike, Would upgrading to a new version then solve the problem? If so, would you recommend going to the latest or ver. 9 instead?

Thank you for all your assistance.

Tom