Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Delete Files Created by ACT2011

Unable to Delete Files Created by ACT2011

I recently uninstalled ACT2011 from my XP-PRO SP3 machine.  There are 2 files that remain within the My Documents > ACT > ACT Data > Database folder.  One file has an .ALF extension and the other has an .ADF extension.  When trying to delete these leftover files manually, I receive a message that the file is being used by another person or program.  The program was installed as a single-user.  No one else used the program.

Can anyone help me find a way to delete these two files? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to Delete Files Created by ACT2011

Hello DH27564,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

You are unable to delete the files because the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 application still has them locked.  If you do not require the SQL 2008 program on the computer, you can uninstall it from 'Add/Remove' programs.  Once uninstalled the ADF and ALF will be unlocked and can be deleted.

Note: the ADF and ALF files are part of an Act! database, you may want to move them to a backup location rather than deleting them.

If you need to retain SQL 2008 on this computer, you can stop the SQL service and then delete the files.  To stop the service:

- left click on Windows Start button

- select Run >  enter command 'Services.msc'

- scroll down to 'SQL Server (Act7)', right click on this service and select Stop

- since you have uninstalled Act!, you no longer need this service and can set it to 'Disabled' by right clicking on the service and selecting Properties > then change the Startup Type to Disabled.

Greg Martin
Sage