Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Create Duplicate Contacts

Unable to Create Duplicate Contacts

I created 6 new custom fields to my layout (4 for emails and 2 that were yes/no checkmarks) and started entering information into them.  Now I am unable to create duplicate contacts from existing contacts.  Once I create the duplicate and look up another contact, the duplicated contact dissappears and the database resorts back to the first contact in the database.  I've noticed that if I enter a brand new contact, it can be duplicated but anything that existed prior to these new fields being added, I am unable to duplicate.  Also, when I place a checkmark in one of the yes/no fields and click on one of the tabs; i.e., notes, history, etc. I get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  I've researched this and am unable to figure out why this is happening.  I am running ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199.

Our systems administrator cannot figure this out and I can't delete these fields because a huge about of information has already been entered into the fields before we discovered the problem.  Creating a duplicate database did not fix the problem.

Silver Contributor

Re: Unable to Create Duplicate Contacts

We have seen this on occsion.  I've seen it happen when you don't have a contact name, but just a company name.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Is there a suggestion as to how to fix this?  It gets rather time consuming to have to create new contact information completely rather than simply duplicating.  And, no, the contact name is not left blank.

Silver Contributor

Not that I know of, it bugs me too.  But as long as I enter a contact name, it seems to rarely if ever happen.  Was I correct about the lack of a contact name? if so, I"d sugest you put hte person there that you are talking to.. If not, no, I have no other sugestion

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

It happens everytime regardless of whether there is a name in the contact field or not.  If I'm entering a brand new contact I can duplicate it as many times as I need with no problems.  Also, this problem popped up a few months ago and it only happens with contacts that existed in the database prior to this starting to happen a few months ago.  Any contacts that have been created since the error started happening can be duplicated.  This is highly annoying and should be looked into.  In reading other posts, lots of people are having this same problem and I noticed alot of them started posting the same problem around the same time mine started.

cpg

I have the same issue this should be fixed. I do not want to type all the data over again when I should just enter a contact name. 

cpg

Contact name does not matter.

Copper Super Contributor

This is happening to me as well.  When I hit the duplicate contact key either nothing happens at all or it duplicates the entire contact without asking me to select what I want to do.  It's irritating.

Never used to be a problem.

Platinum Super Contributor

The first steps to resolving this issue are to run 'Check and Repair' under the Tools > Database Maintenance menu.  If that does not correct the situation, you will need to test the behavior in a different database (to determine if it is database specific or the Act! installation is corrupted).

Note: If you have performed a 'Lookup' and then duplicated a contact record - if the new contact record does not match the Lookup criteria you may be prompted to continue working with the contact (depending on Act! version).  If you select No, the display will default to the first contact of the Lookup results.  If you select Yes, the Lookup All will be performed and you will remain on the duplicated record.

Greg Martin
Sage
cpg

Did the check and repair. It still will not duplicate. Somecontacts will some will not. It does it on 2 data bases i have. I sure hope someone fixes this because it is a major payne to have to re enter so much data.