Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Access ACT2010 Database in Windows 7

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Unable to Access ACT2010 Database in Windows 7

I was running ACT 2010 in Windows XP Pro.  recently installed Windows 7 on a new hard drive and reinstalled ACT and moved the database files to the new hard drive.

I cannot access my ACT database.  It returns this error:

"The database [Database Name] could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check you network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or on your server." 

I have disabled Windows Firewall and the database files are local to this hard drive.  It will not access the database.  

Please help!!!??

Doug 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author doug@primeequitiesonline.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to Access ACT2010 Database in Windows 7

Hello Doug,

There are a number reasons why you might get this error. The most common I see are

- SQL service not running. In the Search box in on your Windows Start menu, type services.msc. Locate the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service...make sure it is started.

- For Windows 7, try disabling or lower the settings for User Account Control (UAC). Instructions are in KB Article 25665

Also, turn your Windows Firewall back on. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, disabling the firewall blocks all traffic. You should instead add firewall exceptions for the ACT! and SQL programs and for the SQL ports.

For more information on the causes for this error and how to add firewall exceptions, please see the following Knowledgebase articles:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network con...

Using your Anti-Virus/Firewall Software with ACT! by Sage

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author doug@primeequitiesonline.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello Doug,

There are a number reasons why you might get this error. The most common I see are

- SQL service not running. In the Search box in on your Windows Start menu, type services.msc. Locate the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service...make sure it is started.

- For Windows 7, try disabling or lower the settings for User Account Control (UAC). Instructions are in KB Article 25665

Also, turn your Windows Firewall back on. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, disabling the firewall blocks all traffic. You should instead add firewall exceptions for the ACT! and SQL programs and for the SQL ports.

For more information on the causes for this error and how to add firewall exceptions, please see the following Knowledgebase articles:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network con...

Using your Anti-Virus/Firewall Software with ACT! by Sage

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Hello Greig,

Thank you for your post.  I checked out your first step and confirmed that SQL was running.  Then I turned off the UAC and turned on Windows Firewall and created an exception for ACT.  I tried to open the database between each of these steps and none corrected the problem.  However, you led me directly to the solution with your post of the link:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network co...

The 5th tip in the list in that article: "Recently Changed Computer Name" is what solved my issue.  I had changed my computer's name in the installatin of Windows 7.  Updating the computer's name using Wordpad in the database's .PAD file did the trick!

Many, many thanks for your quick response and great help!!! 

Doug 

Greg,

I am having a similar issue in that I am running Windows 7 and Act 2009! will no longer open any databases. When I tried the first suggestion (making sure SQL Service is running) nothing named "SQL Server (ACT7)" even shows up in the list of services. How do I go about correcting this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

If the error you are receiving is "The database [name] could not be accessed..." and the database(s) are local to your machine, then the SQL Server missing would be the cause of this error. To correct this, you will need to reinstall the ACT7 instance if SQL. Please see KB Article 19386 for instructions to do this. The other option would be to uninstall ACT!, reboot your machine, then reinstall. The SQL Server would be reinstalled along with ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Greig,

Thanks for the communication. I did both of your suggestions but the problem is still there. I can't open a database or even create a new one. If I upgrade to Act 2010, which is compatible (hopefully) with Windows 7, do you think this problem will be resolved?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Kevin,
What is the error you are getting when trying to open or create a database? Is the service SQL Server (ACT7) installed and running on your machine? Also, while ACT! 2009 is not officially supported on Windows 7, the issue you are describing is not one that I would expect to occur due to the O/S. Most users can run ACT! 2009 fine on Windows 7.

Greig Hollister

The message I get when attempting to create a database: "Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server." I tried uninstalling, deleting any files left behind based upon instructions for "manually" removing Act, and then reinstalling. But problem was not solved. I also tried the suggestion of reinstalling the SQL server that you previously mentioned, which took me a couple of hours.

If I can't find a remedy at this point, I will just do a system wipe and start completely fresh and try installing Act 2010. If you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated.