Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Access ACT

Unable to Access ACT

[ Edited ]

I am “in a pickle”.

My dad was kind enough to help his computer challenged daughter this morning to increase capacity in my desktop computer. In doing so now I cannot open my ACT (CRM) which hosts all my contacts and appointments. If need to I will recreate a new database. Before going that route I was wondering if you can give me some other options to consider.

When I try to login I get the following error message:

"This database StrongPracticeSolutions could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It maybe necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server"

A friend who is knowledgeable about databases helped me last night. In the SQL Express he could open other database such as PortfolioCenter, Laserfiche but not ACT. The notes I took while he was doing the work, "ACT not work/cannot connect to SQL". He also disabled firewall software and that didn't help.

His questions are: 1. "Cannot find the database file. Where is it store?" 2. Permission, how do I connect? 3. "Where to retrieve contacts in SQL database? What is it call?"

My dad is insistent my password is wrong but I am equally insistent that my password is right.

Interestingly when opening up ACT10Demo it still works. Password is not required to open this database (My guess now is because the Demo does not require SQL).

I am really dreading rebuilding my ACT database. Can you please let me know what else I can do before I start down that path? I was informed today when calling Sage that Tech support no longer supports ACT10.

Do I just buy new 2011 and start from scratch?

Any input would be awesome. Thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to Access ACT

Re: Unable to Access ACT

Mike, thank you so much! I will definitely take on your recommendation and explore all options.