Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

USING my desktop computer and my portable. computer

USING my desktop computer and my portable. computer

I purchased my ACT! software to monitor my clients - several groups...  I entered these clients into my desktop computer. 

I then entered my ACT! software into my portable computer to take with me when I visited my clients.  How can I transfer information to and from these two computers that I need to use?

Thank you.  Margaret Ann Gnadinger kytuxlady@bellsouth.net

Re: USING my desktop computer and my portable. computer

Hello Margaret,

You can setup application sync to complete this task.  This will provide two way synchronization between the two computers.

Please see the following on-line Knowledge Base (KB) document.
How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

[ Edited ]

If it's just you and you're trying to mirror your laptop/desktop, there's another way.

Caution: I'm new to ACT, and have only done this once so far for a trip last weekend, but a brand new install of Act on my laptop picked up all my desktop's preferences properly, and I use the general technique with several applications and about 10GB of data. Back up thoroughly first, start with modest amounts of data, and launch the apps, testing thoroughly after going each direction to make sure it's doing what you expect :-)

1) Get ViceVersa Pro from http://tgrmn.com/ and install on your desktop (best $60 I ever spent)

2) If you haven't already, share out your laptop's C drive to yourself with full permissions, and map it to a drive letter on your desktop

3) Set up a sync between desktop and laptop for all files and subfolders in:

- The folder where you stash your database

- C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 10

4) Save your settings as a profile in ViceVersa Pro.

Unlike the sync the moderator pointed you to, this isn't going through individual records in the databse looking for changes, like you'd want if multiple users were accessing a database. Instead it just picks up your whole setup and shoves it back and forth between the systems, including preferences like screen layouts and toolbars (part of what's in the second folder).

On my systems, I keep all data in a handful of folders off the root, like c:\biz c:\clients c:\personal etc. instead of whatever odd places apps default to stashing them, which simplifies my sync profiles. The payback of staying organized and setting these syncs up is I don't have to think about what files I'll need on a trip or hanging out in a coffee house--I just always have everything. BTW, the reason you get ViceVersa Pro instead of using MS Sync Toy is it has a full set of preferences for warning/overwriting, great color coded interface showing what's going to happen in the sync, and handles read only files (like QuickBooks databases) and hidden/system files.

Forgot to mention--when you get into syncing a volume of data, you really want to do this over a LAN cable instead of WiFi.

Good luck!

Message Edited by AnnRay on 06-18-2008 08:26 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

AnnRay wrote:

If it's just you and you're trying to mirror your laptop/desktop, there's another way.

Caution: I'm new to ACT, and have only done this once so far for a trip last weekend, but a brand new install of Act on my laptop picked up all my desktop's preferences properly, and I use the general technique with several applications and about 10GB of data. Back up thoroughly first, start with modest amounts of data, and launch the apps, testing thoroughly after going each direction to make sure it's doing what you expect :-)

1) Get ViceVersa Pro from http://tgrmn.com/ and install on your desktop (best $60 I ever spent)Message Edited by AnnRay on 06-18-2008 08:26 AM

I would be really worried about this... copying a SQL database without stopping the services can cause it to become corrupt. I see they say it supports SQL and ACT!, but doesn't say how.

Also if your database gets large, it's a lot to send as opposed to sync just sending the changes

Many paths to whatever works, and as I said, test carefully. Just as I'd test ACT's own sync utility carefully before assuming it was doing what I wanted.

I wouldn't worry about the file size--my PST is 1.3GB and takes all of 2 minutes to move over a LAN cable, and I'd be surprised if a record-level compare of a DB that size was faster. As I said, I'm new to ACT, but I've been using this sync software heavily for a couple years and have yet to encounter a corruption problem. By default, ViceVersa balks if you attempt to copy a file that a service has open. 

AnnRay wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the file size--my PST is 1.3GB and takes all of 2 minutes to move over a LAN cable, and I'd be surprised if a record-level compare of a DB that size was faster. As I said, I'm new to ACT, but I've been using this sync software heavily for a couple years and have yet to encounter a corruption problem. By default, ViceVersa balks if you attempt to copy a file that a service has open. 

But SQL (and therefore ACT!) always have the service holding the database open.

[ Edited ]

My apologies to Mike for underestimating the SQL interaction :-)

So, my recommendation of ViceVersa as a general tool for mirroring data on one's desktop/laptop stands, but apparently ACT isn't a program that's friendly to that setup. 

While the initial transfer to my laptop worked fine, and the database is happily residing back on my desktop, the fracking thing is tapping the SQL instance on my laptop. While this bump was self-inflicted, my aversion to calling tech support isn't, and neither were the other bumps I've hit in my 28 days of using ACT. Exiting back to my "expensive" hosted CRM, because it just worked, and if I'm going to muck around with SQL I'll do it with something fun like PHP and AJAX.

Ann

Message Edited by AnnRay on 06-19-2008 03:58 PM

[ Edited ]

DLunceford wrote:

Hello Margaret,

You can setup application sync to complete this task.  This will provide two way synchronization between the two computers.

Please see the following on-line Knowledge Base (KB) document.
How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

To jump in on this perhaps you or Mike could lend some advice on the post about "Not able to create the Remote Database".  I followed these instructions explicitely but when I get to the end of creating the remote database it errors out and tells me to contact my Administrator. (which is me)  I'm trying to do this exact same thing.  Share my Act! 2008 on my desktop and laptop.  This is a must for my business.  If i can't do this it's a waste. Anyways the Act! support forum says this is because I'm not logged on as the Administrator.  Not true. I am the only user and the Administrator on my system. I'm running Windows Vista Home Edition on the Desktop where the main database resides.  To top it off I also tried to run Act! Updates and it won't let me!  I get the same error.  It says that I'm not logged on as and Administrator so it won't let me download the updates.  I suspect something in Act! is not properly recognizing Admin Privilages in Vista but I don't know if there is a easy workaround.

{edited to clean up formatting error}

Message Edited by tashina on 06-22-2008 10:34 AM

Thanks Mike I will try this when I get to the office later this week and let you know how it worked out.