Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Two Act Services launching the same executable

Two Act Services launching the same executable

Hi Everyone,

I just installed V19 Pro update 4 on four Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machines. I notice that there are two services set to automatically run via the system account. The only problem is that these services launch the same executable. I realize that a service can be used to perform multiple functions, however it should not be launched twice. Perhaps if a parameter was passed in one or both services but this is not the case. I suspect that one of these services is a residual from prior versions and is not required. I will list the services in question...

Service Name:  ActService

Display Name:  ACT! Service Host

Description: Supports long-running ACT! features such as search

Path to executable: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Server.Host.exe"

Service Name: ActSmartTaskService

Display Name: ACT! Smart Task Service Host

Description: Long Running Smart Task Service

Path to executable: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Server.Host.exe"

I would ask that the developers explain this. I would like to know which service I can be eliminated. I would ask the user community to confirm this is the case on their systems.

Administrator

Re: Two Act Services launching the same executable

Hi MrGreg,

Do you experience any issues when the service is launched twice?
I've reached out to some internal teams to get an answer for your question. I'll let you know what I hear back.
Highlighted

Thanks Gary,

I do not see any issues with the service being launched twice. I analyze every new piece of software that I install on my clients systems. I am very stingy with system resources. This is just something I stumbled on when I was analyzing the impact that ACT is having on the system. I am anxious to here what the development team has to say. Thanks again...

Hi Gary,

Anything from the internals team yet?

Administrator

Hi MrGreg,

No not yet. The teams resources are currently all focused on the upcoming Act! v19.1 release.