Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to setup a VPN for 2 Users

Tuned Listener

Trying to setup a VPN for 2 Users

I have Act! 2010 that I use myself.  I now want to give my partner access from their remote location.  I setup a software-based VPN on my computer and his, and he can login to the VPN and establish connections to my shares (folders, printers, etc.).  Actually works pretty well.

Then I had him map to my shared Act! database. He is able to see the folders and files, but when he tries to open the database, he gets a license error of some sorts.  He is using a 30-day trial of Act!; we wanted to make sure what we're trying will work before we spend the dough.  Since he couldn't open my database, I wanted him to create a new one just to see if the VPN will work for us, so I had him try to create a new database on the VPN drive (to him, that's the remote drive, to me it is my local drive) but he gets the error "The specified location for your new database is invalid. A database must be created on a drive on your machine".

My questions: Does anyone have an opinion about these s/w-based VPNs?  If we buy another copy of Act!, will he be able to open and use my database?  Does someone want to suggest another way?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

-Brian

--------------------------
Regards,

Brian Myers
Dataweb USA Inc.
www.datawebusa.com
1-888-Dataweb (328-2932)
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to setup a VPN for 2 Users

An ACT! database must be created on a local hard drive, it can't be created on a mapped drive.

The soft ware VPN will work but the performance would be very poor. You would be better off setting up synchronization via the software VPN. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Trying to setup a VPN for 2 Users

Brian -

What Royel is saying is that the VPN should work as a backbone to allow you to share your database, but you won't have you partner connect directly.  You will turn on syncrhonization for your database, and then create a remote database that will get installed on his machine.

You will each have a copy of the database on your respective machines, and your partner will initiate data syncrhonization over the VPN so that both of your systems are up to date with changes that either of you make.

An added benefit is that you will have two copies of the database in the event of a catastrophe...