Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to search and delete specific contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Trying to search and delete specific contacts

I hope this is the correct place to post this.  I've got an excel file of bad email addresses that I want to remove from my database.  There has to be a way to search them out and delete them instead of manually going through and deleting thousands of email addresses.  Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author madtownguy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to search and delete specific contacts

Depending on your version, it might be in a different place, but the general area to start is Tools>Preferences.

This will open the prefs dialog box, and on my version (2012), it's under the Admin tab - a button called Duplicate Checking.  The button will be the same in other versions - the tab might be different...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello madtownguy,
Do the bad emails on the spreadsheet match on existing emails and contacts in your database?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

If they do, what was is thinking you do is this:
- add a field to ACT! (or use an existing field) to indicate a bad email
- add a column for this field to your Excel spreadsheet and then for all names in the sheet add a value of "Yes" or "Bad Email" or something similar
- Enable duplicate checking in your database, using the Contact and Email fields
- Import in the spreadsheet, make sure to map the bad email field to the bad email column on your sheet
- For the contact merge options during the import wizard, choose the Merge option on the left side
- When you import, for every contact/email match found it should populate the bad email field you chose in ACT! with the value from the bad email column on spreadsheet
- Do a lookup in ACT! based on the bad email field
- Go to Edit > Replace Field, choose the email field and leave the value blank
- This will delete the email from all the contacts in that lookup

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Wow that makes sense, I thought it would be easier than that but still that should accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish. Fast answer too dang! I should've used this forum long ago as I normally pull out my hair and cuss at the wall when I'm having ACT problems.
Copper Contributor

Enable duplicate checking in your database, using the Contact and Email fields

I am unsure of what the above means.  This is done before I do the merge? I don't really know where I would enable duplicate checking.

Solution
Accepted by topic author madtownguy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Depending on your version, it might be in a different place, but the general area to start is Tools>Preferences.

This will open the prefs dialog box, and on my version (2012), it's under the Admin tab - a button called Duplicate Checking.  The button will be the same in other versions - the tab might be different...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Ok I did all that, on the first merge it added all the contacts, on the second one I selected the Do not add and then it didn't do anything.  I can't get the "bad" that I put in the country column on excel sheet to show up in ACT in the country section.  I selected the merge on left side in 7 or 8 page of import.  I'm using 2010 Act. 

Copper Contributor

Sorry nevermind  I listened too closely and didn't understand why duplicate checking was important.  My list didn't have Contact on it so I changed it to company in duplicate checking and it worked... hurray now to see if the deleting emails will work for me.

Copper Contributor

Thanks it worked great.  it didn't add "Bad" to like 80 contacts not really sure why but I can live with that...

Glad to hear that worked for you. The 80 or so contacts may not have been updated because there was no exact match on the duplicate checking during the import.

Greig Hollister