Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to restore data to another computer HELP please

Trying to restore data to another computer HELP please

I work from two computers with  my act data base and always restore each data base all the time.  Well we just got a new computer.  I restored the data base on the new computer and all went well.  But now when I tried to restore my old computer data base from my new computer data base it is telling me " to finalize registration must login first"  on my old computer.  Do you think it just needs the old registration number....because I have nowhere to login on this old computer.

I am so frustrated please someone help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to restore data to another computer HELP please

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to restore data to another computer HELP please

[ Edited ]

Hello granite,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. I agree with Mike that backup and restore is not the best way to utilize the same database on two machines, but rather sync. If the two machines are not networked, then you can use a free VPN via the internet to sync the two machines. See KB Article 23333 for more information.

However, if you decide to stick with backup/restore, then let's address the message your are receiving. I'm willing to bet to that your new machine is using either Vista or Windows 7, so this error is most likely caused by User Account Control (UAC). There are two methods you can use to get around this:

Close ACT! and then reopen it by right-clicking on the ACT! icon and selecting "Run As Administrator" (instead of double-clicking). You will have to open ACT! this way every time.

OR

Disable or lower the settings for UAC. For instructions, see one of the following Knowledgebase articles:

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

How to Change or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows® 7 & Windows Server® 2008

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.