Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to install Act! Premium on Parallels Win 7 sp1

Trying to install Act! Premium on Parallels Win 7 sp1

[ Edited ]

My customer is trying to go from ACT! 7 on WinXP in Parallels to the current version.  We were told by ACT! sales support (chat session) that ACT! Premium is the right version.  She wants to end up with a mobile accessible, remotely hosted database with a total of two (Mac) desktops and one mobile devce accessing the data.  So we went with Premium. 

I finally got Win 7 sp1 on the machine, and ACT! keeps failing to install.  Four install attempts (each followed by a reboot) moved the apparent install forward each time, but the last thing that happens is a rollback operation and an attempt to submit an error report.  They are on a seriously horked up network that requires I go back to my shop to download updates, installers, etc.  The network issues are not something I can even begin to address.

Why is it continuing to fail the install?

Parallels 9.0.24251

Win7 sp1

ACT! Premum Web v17

Did she buy the wrong version of ACT! ?

Re: Trying to install Act! Premium on Parallels Win 7 sp1

Discovered that Win7 was doing background updates, it finally popped up with "Please do not power off or unplug your machine.  Installing update x of 9..."

Then proceeded to count up for 45 minutes, finally got to "9 of 9" just now. 

I'll try re-running the installer after a VM restart. 

I really wish ACT! would stop being Windows only.  It's ridiculous in this day and age.  Apple desktops and laptops are an increasing fraction of all machines sold, and for the better part of a decade have been high powered PCs under the hood. 

I get to a progress bar that says

"ACT! Shared Images.dll"

and then it tried to submit an error report.

What's going on?

This is the same error that was occurring before Windows 7 performed 9 update installs.

Platinum Elite Contributor

cptomes wrote:

I really wish ACT! would stop being Windows only.  It's ridiculous in this day and age.  Apple desktops and laptops are an increasing fraction of all machines sold, and for the better part of a decade have been high powered PCs under the hood. 

ACT! uses MSSQL for the database and the .NET Framework, a version of the ACT! program that would run native on the MAC would require a complete rewrite of the program. With the MAC market share of the PC market standing at 6 percent, such a rewrite isn't practical. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ok.

Any chance we could get some help with this $500 product my client purchased that refuses to install on a perfectly functioning Windows 7 SP1 virtual machine?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Try starting the ACT! install by right clicking on the on the SETUP and selecting Run as Admonistrator or turning off the Windows UAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Run as Administrator, no effect, same error, same point.

Progress bar locks at "Act Shared Images.dll and it tries to submit an issue. 

Back from vacation.  Restarting this project. 

Seriously need some assistance with getting past this dll error. 

SQL and .net did get installed, ACT! did not.  Any pointers? 

Bueller?  Bueller?

So, trying the old "beat my head against it until I hear the squishy sound" method I developed back in the bad old days of my MCSE years worked.  Fifth time through the installer was the charm.  Last three attempts were after sp1 and all the updates finished installing.  Maybe win7 just needed a few reboots before ACT! would install correctly.