Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to create an email field

Copper Contributor

Trying to create an email field

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am using ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0

I am trying to define an email field so that when I import a company their email address is imported into a field that will hyperlink to a New Message window in the users defined e-mail client.

According to the official user guide I have, it's a simple enough task. The guide implies that the 'E-mail' field is positioned directly between the 'Decimal' and 'Initial-Caps' fields and even has an illustration showing this. Unfortunately the E-mail option just doesn't appear for me.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,

Jake

edit: I don't know if this helps at all but also in the illustration an 'Annual Event' field is shown. This also does not show up in my menu.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to create an email field

[ Edited ]

Hello Jake,

An Email-type field can only be created for Contact and Opportunity records, not for Companies or Groups . You can however try using a URL-type field, which should work if what you are importing is a hyperlink.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your prompt response. I initially used an URL field but it tried to open the hyperlink in IE.

If I cannot create an email field in Companies are there any appropriate solutions to my problem?

To confirm what I am trying to do:

• I have many individual contacts working for one company.
  • That company has a seperate company email address.
  • I would like to have this address in an 'Email' field on the company page (which I understand I cannot do)
  • Furthermore, some companies are owned by single larger companies whose corporate email address I would also like to have in an 'Email' field.

Even if I omit the parent company's email address from the child company's page (with the intention creating groups of parent companies) I still have the problem of not being able to have an 'Email' field for those parent companies within Groups.

Thanks,

Jake

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Web Info tab can be used to generate an email using the user's default email client. Try this and see if it works for you:

- Create a new character-type field for the email address and place it on the company layout; save and close the layout designer

- Under the Web Info tab for the Company Detail view, highlight User Links on the left, then click Edit Links

- In the Edit Links box, click Add

- Name the site Email or whatever you think is apprporiate. The URL will be mailto:{Email address}. You would type "mailto:" ,then add the Email field you created from the field list on the right. Click OK to save.

- Type an email address in the email field you created, then click on the Email link you created under the Web Info tab. It should bring up a new message screen in the user's default email client.

- You can create multiple email fields and multiple links under the Web Info tab as needed.

Drawbacks:

- Emails sent in this manner will not record in the history of the company in ACT!

- If the user leaves the Email link under the Web Info tab highlighted, then whenever they click the Web Info tab in the Company Detail view, a new message will be generated. Have them highlight User Links or another link before leaving the Web info tab. Of course, if there is no email address in the email field, then no message will be generated.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

That solution worked reasonably well. Thanks. If the link in the field itself is followed then it still tries to open in my browser but if I click on my Company Email box within the Web Info tab it now opens a New Message in Outlook. Navigationally it takes longer but it is a solution nonetheless, so thank you.

However, I can envisage that I may still have a problem when it comes to groups. From what I understand you can't group companies only contacts. So while this solution works for emailing companies one at a time, when it comes to wanting to email every relevant company in Westminster, for example, I wont be able to send out a group email without emailing every person at every company.

I feel like the only solution to this may be to create every company as a contact so that I can group them that way but then that means having every company in their twice (once as a company and once as a contact) as well as clogging the contacts page both of which don't seem particularly efficient.

Is there a way of grouping companies or is that the wrong question to be asking in this situation?