Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to copy database to new machine, new version of ACT, and failing

Trying to copy database to new machine, new version of ACT, and failing

[ Edited ]

Original ACT database is 11 Premium. User got a trial for 2013 (15) Pro.

Copying the actual database files to the new machine and then trying to open that in ACT doesn't work. Keeps saying the database cannot be accessed and verify the database server is available. I was hoping that trying to open it this way would prompt a database conversion to the new version, but it doesn't.

I also found steps online to open a premium database in pro, which requires the "save as" option and selecting the standard Act as the format. This also doesn't work. The 11 Premium machine keeps saying that the location is invalid and it must be saved to a local drive, even though I'm trying to save it to the C: drive of the machine it's running on.

Doing a back-up and restore-as doesn't work, as the process completes but then when trying to open the new database it states that you have to do the "save-as" option. The backup process works, but the save-as process fails (as mentioned above).

How can I get this database moved?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Trying to copy database to new machine, new version of ACT, and failing

You should be able to do a regular backup from ACT.

Then on the new machine, load the new version.   You would then click on the ZIP file and Restore As giving it a new name.  The next prompt should be a wait command as the db has to be updated.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

Re: Trying to copy database to new machine, new version of ACT, and failing

That didn't work as listed, but I did discover a way to make it work. Ran the backup, copied that to the new machine, ran the "Restore As" to create a new database, which Act! wouldn't open (because it was still a "premium" database) but I discovered in the actdiag utility there is an option to downgrade a database from premium which worked, and then when trying to open the database it prompted to update to the latest version.

A lot of trial and error, but I did eventually get it working.

Unrelated, anyone know of a way to remove a database from the list in Actdiag? The database doesn't exist, but actdiag still thinks it does and it generates an error whenever I select it, or try to access the Action menu (or right-click) with it selected, so I can't tell it to simply unattach it.