Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to Sync on a different subnet

Copper Contributor

Trying to Sync on a different subnet

I am trying to get ActV16 running.  My publisher database is running on a windows 8 machine at 192.168.2.33.  My remote machine is also a windows 8 on a different subnet 192.168.3.107.  I get a sync failure,  Unable to connect to sync server.  I can ping the publisher machine fine.  I have firewall turned off on the publisher machine.  I can do an UNC path fine.  We do not have an internal DNS, we are on a workgroup. 

Is there a way to define an IP address for the remote database connect?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to Sync on a different subnet

Hi pfeathers,

First thing I would check is that Port 65100 is open on the network for communication, as by default this is the port act uses.

I will normally try a telnet connection to the computer to check this (telnet [IP ADDRESS] 65100).

in Act you can go to Tools>Syncronise Database>Syncronisation Panel... and then from there check the settings for :

Manage Main Database Location - just check that the correct name is present here

Manage Connection Information - you can put in the IP Address that you want to connect to here

That's just a start, I hope some of this is useful.

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Copper Contributor

Thanks Jared,

I will look into the telnet from one of the subnets and make sure the port is open on the router. 

When I go to Manage Man Database Location and Manage Connection Information, these two options are unavailable, even when I open with Admin privilidges.  How do I get that to change?

Regards,

Owen

Copper Contributor

I created a port forwarding rule on the firewall/router.  I can telnet 192.168.2.33 65100 just fine.  At least is gives me a blank command prompt screen, waiting for commands.  But I still cannot sync-unable to connect to sync server.  I think the key to this might be to be able to specify an IP address for the database, but not sure how to do that yet.    

Copper Contributor

Success.  Manage connection information is available on the remote database, so I changed the "machine name or computer hosting the sync server" to the IP address of the sync server and it worked fine. 

Copper Elite Contributor

Glad to hear you got it working pfeathers!

Sorry I should have mentioned that you needed to change that option on the Remote DB.

Cheers
Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services