Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble with installation of ACT 2010

Trouble with installation of ACT 2010

I bought this program last year, had a computer change and it didn't make it over to the new computer.  My old computer was XP Pro.  I contacted customer support via live chat with my order number and she gave me a link to download it again.

I have downloaded it to my new computer, which is Windows 7.  I am getting an error that my XP machine needs service pack 3 for ACT to install properly.  Is that because the download I was given was for an XP machine?

I really need to get this installed again and get my data back in the program.  I haven't found a program I like better than this one and I have lots to get caught up.

Thanks.

Nanc

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Trouble with installation of ACT 2010

Hello Nanc512,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Here is an article with steps for resolving this message during installation: KB Article 26077.

Greg Martin
Sage

That box is "greyed out" so I can't uncheck it.  It says Service Pack 2.

Thanks.

Nancy

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Nancy,

In order to resolve this issue, you can bypass the ACT! system checker. Follow these steps:

- Open the ACT! installation file you unpacked from the download

- Open the Dependencies folder

- Locate the PreReq folder, right-click on it, select "Rename" and rename to "PreReqOLD"

- Run the ACT! installation

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I tried that and it didn't work.  I found the file and added OLD to the end when I renamed it.  I still get the same error about Service Pack 3.

Nancy

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok. Here are some additional methods you can try. Try them separately and in this order (if the prior method fails):

Disable User Account Control (UAC)

For Windows 7, see KB Article 25665. After you disable UAC, reboot your machine and try the installation

Run ACT! install from program folder

- Browse to your installation files, open the ACTSTD or ACTWG directory and run the setup.exe file in there

Install SQL manually and run ACT! install from a different directory

- Follow the instructions in KB Article 19386 to manually install SQL Server

- After the SQL install, browse to the installation directory for ACT! and copy either the ACTSTD or ACTWG folder

- Paste the directory in another location on your C: drive

- Open the directory in this new location and run the setup.exe file

- After the install completes (if successful), browse to the install directory again, open the Dependencies folder and run the FallbackSQLPwdReset.bat file

- Open ACT! and test

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Second suggestion worked.  I got it loaded, having trouble opening my old databases and starting new ones.  I will see if I can figure it out, if not, I will post again.

Thank you so much!

Nancy