Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble with Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Trouble with Database

I created a new database and layout and can not insert cntact's first and last name.  The boxes are are grey.  How do I fix this? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mprovenzano
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble with Database

Those are system fields and are filled automatically by the program by parsing the entry in the contact field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mprovenzano
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Trouble with Database

Those are system fields and are filled automatically by the program by parsing the entry in the contact field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Trouble with Database, i have similar problem

i imported data from my excel data base, now i am trying to add new customers in the database, and i can click on every field to add information, except first and last name, they are not grayed out, they just do not allow me type a name in, how do you add a new customer, the help section doesnt address not being able to add those two fields, thanks

Jeff Karlin

jeff@mortgagebancorp.com

Unless you added a first name and last name field to the database, they are system fields and you can't directly enter data into those fields.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

We have tried for three days to import our database (from 6.0) via Excel into ACT! v11.  The problem that we keep running into is that we have created new fields in Design layouts/Contacts. The first 25 seem to work fine and appear when we try our IMPORT because they are available on a drop down list when we look to match them with the data in the Excel file (.txt)

At some point, the mysteriously just stop appearing on the drop down list, limiting us to the number of fields of data that we can bring over from the .txt file.

Is there some limit to the number of custom fields that you can add in Design Layouts/Contacts?

This sounds like a reported issue that existed in the initial release of ACT! 2009 (11.0). This issue was fixed in the 11.1 update. You can download this update it from www.act.com/downloads.

If you are using a shared database in a multi-user environment, then all machines with ACT! 2009 installed will need to apply the update, starting with the server.

Please see the following Knowledgebase articles for more information on the 11.1 update:

How to Download and Apply the ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.1) Service Pack

What Changes Were Made in ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.1)

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Well, we ran the patch and so far, so good! It seems that all the fields are listed just where we want them! Thank you so much, we were beating our head against the wall!!

Enjoy the weekend!!

meri and bob

I'll be sure to check back again!