Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble restoring database

Copper Contributor

Trouble restoring database

Pardon me if this has been answered.  I cannot seem to find a remedy that makes sense.

My ACT! database resides on a logical drive,N:.  I am trying to move it from one logical drive to another larger one.  I know copying the files and renaming the new drive to N: won't work.  Why?

Anyway, I backed up the database and tried to restore it on the new drive but received a "Failed to open a connection to the database" error.

The database opens on the original drive, so it is *not* the ACT! or SQL installation.

There is no database connected to unattach.

What should I do?

Copper Contributor

Re: Trouble restoring database

TIA

Sage ACT! Premium 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 5 (Normal Use)

Sage ACT! Premium 2012 14.0.572.0 Hot Fix 2 (For Importing Contacts)

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64

Outlook 2010 x32 v14

Durkin Impact Business Suite V4.2

Exponenciel Automatic Field Calculations v8.5

Company Wizard v1.1.1.20

Duplicate Wizard v4.0.5.51

Silver Contributor

I'm not totally sure of what you mean by logical drive. The drive needs to be located on the machine.  Not a network drive or a drive on a thumb drive or a drive on a network storage device.

to move it, there are several ways.  Here is what is easiest for me.

1) open actidiag (start, run, actdiag)

2) go to the database tab. note the location of the database.  Browse to that folder.

3) make sure you see an .alf, .adf and supplemental files folder (database name - files)

4) Go back to ACT diag and right click on the database and choose detatch database

5) go back to the folder location and move all files for the database to the new location.  You don't need the .pad file. and can delete this one.

6) with all files in the new location, start ACT (you will get a database not found message.)

7) Go to file, open and instead of opening the .pad file, open the .adf file

this will re attach your database to the SQL and open your Database.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thank you.

The database was not there to detach.

If I try to open the ALF file I get the error "This file is in use.  Enter a new name or close the file that's open in another program."

If I try to open the PAD file I get the error "The database... could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

TIA

Copper Contributor

The trouble was that, when I copied the files, they got compressed.  I had to uncompress t hem.