Do you mean 

Trouble opening old database to new computer

Highlighted

Trouble opening old database to new computer

Hello,

I am running:

ACT v19 update 7

Windows 10

We had a user's computer die recently. I was able to recover data from the drive but I am having some trouble trying to restore one of their local databases to a new machine. Both machines were using the same version of ACT! and have the same OS.

I have the original .PAD, .ADF, .ALF, and the database files folder in a folder on the new machine. When I try to open the files in ACT! using the "Open Database" utility this prompt opens: "ACT! will now verify the database. The process will take several minutes."

After the prompt another box with the text "Waiting..." pops up. The process doesn't go anywhere from there.

I have restarted the machine and tried importing the .PAD and .ADF. Are there any changes I need to make to open the old database or is there a better way to handle this?

Unfortunately we don't have any backups of this database or access to the original machine, just the data from the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.  

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Trouble opening old database to new computer

How old was the old version of Act?

The process of verifying the database can take quite a while - I've seen it take several hours for large, old databases on slower machines.

Are you able to create a new database on that machine by going to File > New Database
Highlighted

Hi Jon,

This version of ACT is about a year old.

I ran the verifying stage overnight and it was still doing the same thing in the morning.

Yes, I can create a new database on the new machine.

Sidenote: The .ADF file is about 50mbs whereas the .ALF and .PAD are 1kb each. Is that normal or will it affect recovery?

Thanks for your reply.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hello, being able to copy the files from the hard disk of one computer to another is one of the ways of making the backup (HOWEVER I suggest that you make the DAILY backup through Act! - and that you put a copy of the ZIP file of that backup in a USB memory or external disk in case the disk of the computer or server is damaged

the restoration of the database should be done by double clicking on the ADF file, you do not need to copy the PAD file from one computer to the other, copy only the ADF, ALF files and the complementary files folder.

When you open the database by double clicking on the ADF file, a new PAD file will be created

1.png

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com