Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble opening old database on new Act version after hard drive failure

Trouble opening old database on new Act version after hard drive failure

Hello all,

We have a client who lost the hard drive in their laptop. He had his ACT database (created in version 9) backed up.

The client has installed ACT 2010 onto a new computer. We have copied the backed up database to the local C:/.  I see a 1kb .PAD file, a 1mb .ALF file, and a 30mb .ADF file.

When I launch ACT and attempt to open the .PAD file, the program prompts for a User/Password. The client has no idea what the login is, an says he doesn't remember there ever being one.

If I instead launch ACT and attempt to open the .ADF file, I see "ACT will now attempt to verify the database" followed by "value cannont be null. Paremeter Name: Path" then "Object refrence is not set to an instance of an object" then the program closes.

Sage will not support this, because the software was purchased 31 days ago, which is beyond the 30 day free support.

Any ideas?  Is there a way to strip the password from a database?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble opening old database on new Act version after hard drive failure

Hello Compterp,

How did your customer restore the backup with out the user name?

Every ACT! database has at least a user name, you create the user name when you create the database, maybe try his first and last name and leave the password field blank

It sounds like to me that he may have just copied the files from his computer instead of going to file and back up in ACT!, if  your customer would  done the backup through ACT! it would of been in the form of a .zip file

As far as support goes, at least in Australia you get 30 days for installation issues with ACT! Its self, the issue you are describing isn't a install issue, did they offer to help if you paid for support? We also offer a service to clear passwords out of database's again this is fee based, I am pretty sure the US support team do this as well, if not there are plenty of ACT! business partners that can help, you would need to discuss their fees with them,

Also ACT! 2012 was released this last September, you said your customer was running 2010 which was released over two years ago,did you mean 2012?

You don't have to pay for support their is a online knowledge base that is free I have included the link for you below, just to a search on "value cannot be null. Paremeter Name: Path" or "Object reference is not set to an instance of an object" and you should be able to find a KB to solve your issue

Online KB

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005