Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble migrating database to a new machine

Trouble migrating database to a new machine

Here's my situation. We have a small workgroup with an XP Pro box acting as our 'server'. We are moving our server to a Win 7 Pro box, and would like to move the Act database. The way we have things set up is the Act database is hosted on the server, and the files are made available to the client machines through a mapped drive. When I followed the instructions for backing up from the old and restoring to the new server, as well as the KB article about synchronised databases, I get an error saying the migrated database is unavailable on the local machine -- which is silly, because of course it's not on the local machine. I'm trying to load the .PAD file that's on the new server. Anybody able to help me? I'm at my wit's end trying to migrate the bloody thing.

Re: Trouble migrating database to a new machine

Are you synchronizing or sharing?  Sounds like you should be sharing, but following a KB for synching.  Heres the KB article for sharing a database.

How to Share a Sage ACT! Database over a Network

Platinum Elite Contributor

Also, you really shouldn't be using mapped drives ...

BTW: Do you mind if I ask - is "Syd Barrett" your real name? If so, I'm duly impressed with your parents :-)

No, it's a name I acquired as a teenager. Huge Floyd fan. Glad you got the reference. Smiley Happy

Here's the latest update on my travails migrating my machine over. I'll recap and then launch into what I've done.

Recap: The 'old' server is a machine running Windows XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled. It has a copy of ACT running on it, but that's simply to host the database. This 'server' is in a peer-to-peer workgroup LAN and is used for file-sharing and nothing else. What I've done is set up a 'new' server running Windows 7 Pro, and I have mirrored the file/directory structure perfectly. On both machines I've set up folders named GMServer and shared them as \\<server name>\GMServer with Everyone getting Read/Write access.

Per KB19818, I used the File -> Backup -> Database wizard and left the Include Attachments option *checked* as it is by default. The only setting I changed was to back this up to a network share accessible to the new server.

On the new server, I did a Restore As, using the exact same database name (GMServer) and logging in as myself. I set the restore directory to be the GMServer folder (again, shared as on the old server). In the PAD file, I had to change the server name from . (dot) to the name of the box (owner-a90b8f167). What I also did was rename the old server to old-a90b8f167 and then gave the old server's name to the new server. (Confused yet?)

Now here's the thing. If I log in locally with the copy of ACT on the new server, I have no problems. However, when I go to a client machine and navigate to the mapped drive (which worked on the old server), I can log in as one of the users, but then I get the following message: 'Could not find database supplemental files folder GMServer-database files in this location owner-a90b8f167. There could be a problem with the share, or the folder may not exist.' I made sure that GMServer and everything below it was shared and that Everyone has Read/Write access to all of it.

I am completely vexed as to why this migration is so hard. In 20 years of doing IT professionally, I have *never* had the trials and tribulations with one piece of software that I'm having with ACT. It makes me feel very discouraged and stupid.

I feel your pain in regards to your last comment. I too am trying to do the same.
Followed one sage support article here http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19818 in the hopes of achieving such, but when trying to restore the database on the server, I get a speil about the database only allowed to be restored on the machine that created it...
Copying the folder to the server.. .can't copy folder.
Sharing the folder and Import over the network, need a password when there is no password.
Tried export on user machine import on server machine I get some other restriction
Very frustrating when you consider the ease at which you have accomplished similar tasks on various other applications.

Because it's a different machine from the one where the backup was created you need to use the Restore As option and give the database a different name.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Here is a new wrinkle in my quest to migrate the database.

My employer purchased new licences for Act 2013, and I have upgraded all our machines (including our server) to this new version.

I performed the 'one-step' migration operation (which from what I can tell, is new to 2013). Post-migration, I am able to pull up the Act copy running on the *new* server and access the database without errors. However, when I attempt to connect to the database from another machine -- remember, the database is set to be shared over the network -- I get an error to the effect that file sharing permissions don't allow access. The funny thing is, I duplicated exactly the folder hierarchy on the new server as exists on the old one; similarly, file/folder permissions are identical across both machines. Since the old one is running XP and the new one Windows 7, I might have neglected to change some setting somewhere. But as far as I can tell, stuff is as identical between the two machines as I can tell in terms of trying to recreate the environment.

I am still using a mapped network share to connect to the database from the other client machines on our LAN. Maybe this is the problem? I'm still really confused as to why I can't get this stuff to work. Smiley Sad

P.S. I have followed to the letter the various KB articles to which people have referred me.

1. Unless you're running a Domain, the Permissions won't be exactly the same
2. You don't need to create a network share map - The "Share" function in Act! does that for you correctly
3. Is the database under the "Users" folder? If so, there are some changes in security from XP to W7. I usually create c:\ActData - then put databases and supplemental fil folders there
4. Could also be a Firewall issue - what's the EXACT error after checking the items above