Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble merging info from two separate DBs -- ACT! 9.0.1.162

Trouble merging info from two separate DBs -- ACT! 9.0.1.162

Hello:
I have a database (ACT 2007  9.0.1.162) in which I have highly customized the layout to suit my company needs. I have two copies of this database (one at my office (on a network) and one at my home office (on my "C" drive).

My problem is as follows:
I have added 216 contacts to my home version and now need to transfer them to my office network computer. I have tried to "create an empty copy of the database" hoping that they layout would be the same. I would then copy the 216 new records and paste them on to the new database. Then I could make a copy of that database on a flash drive and reload it on to my office computer.

Unfortunately, when I created a copy, it reverted back to the original standard layout with no options for the customized one.

The second thing I tried was making a complete copy of the DB and then deleting all the other records except the 216 new ones. Copying it to a flash drive and transferring it. When I did this, it gave me an error as follows:

Exceptions occured while executing Db schema Update Script.  

Check the errors in C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Sage software SB,Inc\ACT!\9.1.162.0\_ActSchemaUpdateResultsAngela6150906152009113551.txt

The following is the .TXT

LOCAL DATETIME: 2009-06-15 11:44:16
       SERVERNAME: TOMP\ACT7
   ENGINE EDITION: 4  Express Edition
  PRODUCT VERSION: 9.00.2170.00 (SP1)
 SERVER COLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     SYNC ENABLED: False
        SYNC ROLE:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         DATABASE: Angela61509
   CREATE VERSION: 611
   RECOVERY MODEL: SIMPLE
     DB COLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS
       AUTO CLOSE: 0
      AUTO SHRINK: 1
AUTO CREATE STATS: 1
AUTO UPDATE STATS: 1
 TORN PAGE DETECT: 1

Configuration option 'user instances enabled' changed from 0 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
 CURRENT BUILD: 09.00.0155.0000
  UPDATE BUILD: 09.01.0152.0000
-------------------------------------------------------------
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
TraceFlag Status Global Session
--------- ------ ------ -------
     8017      1      1       0
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
SETTING DATABASE COMPATIBILITY LEVEL...
create_date             compatibility_level user_access_desc                                             recovery_model_desc                                        
----------------------- ------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------
2009-06-15 11:35:05.983                  90 MULTI_USER                                                   SIMPLE                                                     
-------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
NOW DROPPING ALL SYNC UPDATE TRIGGERS... (PRIOR VERSION = 09.00.0155.0000)
STARTTIME: 2009-06-15 11:44:17
  ENDTIME: 2009-06-15 11:44:27

SETTING CTL_LOCALSTRING DATA...
SETTING TBL_SYSLOCALCOLUMN DATA...

*** Upgrading database to Schema Version 09.00.0532.0000 at 2009-06-15 11:44:28 ***
Adding ACT! BUSINESS LINKS tables
Msg 2714, Level 16, State 6, Server TOMP\ACT7, Line 4
There is already an object named 'CTL_ABL_DBCONFIG' in the database.

FOOTER ENTRY TRANCOUNT = 0
Msg 50000, Level 25, State 1, Server TOMP\ACT7, Line 29
***** Update of database failed!  Exiting from update!
Msg 2745, Level 16, State 2, Server TOMP\ACT7, Line 29
Process ID 62 has raised user error 50000, severity 25. SQL Server is terminating this process.

I have no idea what any of this means.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble merging info from two separate DBs -- ACT! 9.0.1.162

[ Edited ]

Hello Tom,

If you are looking to get the 216 new contacts from your home database to your business database, then importing them would be the easiest way to do that. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for instructions on importing from one ACT! database to another:

How To Import Contact Data From an Existing ACT! Database Into Another ACT! Database

If you only want the contact information (no Notes, History or Activities) for these new contacts to go into your business database, then you can export them from your home database (File/Export) to a .csv file and then import that file into your business database. The process to import a .csv file into an ACT! database is detailed in the following Knowledgebase article:

How to Import Contact Data From a Text Delimited File (*.TXT or *.CSV) into an ACT! Database

In regards to the issue you had with creating the empty copy, when you make a copy of a database from the File menu, the supplemental files (layouts, attachments, queries, etc) are not copied over. If you want these files, you will need to manually copy them from the original database files to those of the copy. The following Knowledgebase article details this:

How To Copy Your Customized Layouts, Templates, Reports, and Queries From One ACT! Database to Anoth...

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-15-2009 04:19 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Trouble merging info from two separate DBs -- ACT! 9.0.1.162

Hi Greig:

Thanks so much for your help.  I will try these and let you know what happens....

Tom