Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble instaling Act 2007 on Win XP

Trouble instaling Act 2007 on Win XP

I am attempting to install my Act 2007 on a machine with XP, SP3.

During installation it says 'Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup has encountered a problem and will end.'

The 'installation' finishes, but when I attempt to open a new database (I don't have any existing ones because I bought the sw in 2009 but never used it) it says, 'The database ACT9Demo could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.'

I disabled my Security softward and Firewall protection, and I confirmed my internet connection, but to no avail.

i spoke with Sage, and they informed me that while they no longer support version 9, they did tell me that my version operates on SQL 2005 Express. I don't know much about SQL....so I'm wondering if I have a newer version installed on my machine, and that is why this sw will not work.  Sage told me that ACT 2012 uses SQL 2008 Express.

I am not sure how to determine what version of SQL I have installed on my machine, but I don't find any listing of a version 2005 anywhere on it.

Thank you ahead of time for any assistance offered.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble instaling Act 2007 on Win XP

Hello greyhairdd,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Go to your Control Panel, the Add/Remove Programs. Look for programs that start with "Microsoft SQL Server" and the version should be included in the name. As stated, ACT! 2007 need SQL 2005 - will not connect to SQL 2008.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.