Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble importing ACT 2006 database over to ACT 2011...trying to figure it out

Trouble importing ACT 2006 database over to ACT 2011...trying to figure it out

I have ACT 2006 on an older laptop.  I purchased and downloaded ACT 2011 on a new laptop and put the database (.pad) I needed on a jump drive and have been unsuccesful importing the database over to ACT 2011.  I put the user and pass in and get an error that says "error accessing or processing a PAD file - E:\Clients.pad"

I am currently installing ACT 2011 on the old laptop as well and am hoping that that may make a difference.  Can someone help me please.

BTW, the older laptop has Microsoft XP and the new laptop has Windows 7.  Don't know if that makes a diff but thought I would mention it.  And yes, I am using the correct user and pass on the import wizard. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble importing ACT 2006 database over to ACT 2011...trying to figure it out

Silver Contributor

Re: Trouble importing ACT 2006 database over to ACT 2011...trying to figure it out

Here is a KB Article that may help you move it the way you are trying. By just moving the correct files.  Important note, you have to either Stop SQL or detatch the database using ACT diag as described here or you won't be able to copy the files.

KB Article here:

Basically, the .pad file is just a pointer file. In fact you don't even (and shouldn't ) copy it over.  it has almost no size and has NO data in it.  It will be recreated when you open the database on the new machine.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks guys! Mike, the link was very helpful and ACT! 2011 is now working on my new laptop with my database from ACT 2006...this is very good.

I think I have found the answer on my next question in the knowledge database here online, but I am haveing issues getting 2011 to install on my older laptop with ACT 2006.

Some issue with ACT7 instance. When I check the SQL listings, I do not have an ACT7 SQL going on...I do have an ACT$7...this is very over my head. Apperantly I am going to have to go into the registry and take out the ACT$7 and manually install the ACT7 SQL? Whew, this is rough...
Platinum Elite Contributor