Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble converting database.

IGH

Trouble converting database.

I am using Act 2007.  My computer crashed but all my Act information was saved to my external hard drive (not a backup copy (zip) but just the database).  I reinstalled Act on my new computer and am trying to open the database from my external hard drive.  I keep getting an error “This database has been updated to work with a more current version of Act.  You must update your copy of Act in order to log on to this database”.  I have updated my version so I don’t know why I keep getting this error.  I went to the website and tried to manually do the updates but it won’t let me.  Only gives me a Repair and Uninstall option.  If I choose Repair it tells me I can’t.  Thoughts on how I can get this database open?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble converting database.

How many database files are on your external hard drive? You need the ADF and ALF files, the PAD file is only a pointer. If you have both the ADF and ALF files, move them to the local hard drive and then try to open the database using the ADF file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
IGH

The ALF file is not there just the ADF and PAD.  I am not sure why it wouldn't be there since I did a full backup of my hard drive.

The ACT! database files are attached to the SQL service and are held open any time the computer is running unless the SQL service is stopped. Most backup programs, including file copy, can't copy an open file. I don't know if the database can be recovered from only the ADF file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
IGH

Ouch!  That is not the response I was hoping for.  Thanks for your help.

Please check the private message I sent you. (Messages in the upper right hand corner.)
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129