Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble WIth Answer ID 14273 (How to Restore a Lost Publisher Database From a Remote Copy)

Astute Commentator

Trouble WIth Answer ID 14273 (How to Restore a Lost Publisher Database From a Remote Copy)

Running ACT! 2011 on Windowns 7.  My Publishers database got damaged and so I am trying to follow KB Answer ID 14273 to create a new Publisher database from the Remote.  I want the current Remote user to become the Publisher:

1. From Remote database (logged in as remote user, I assume), Save Copy As (create a copy of the database). OK

2. Open this copy (as remote user, I assume). OK

3. Create a back-up 

4. Restore As fails with error - Must login as database administrator.  But when I do that and I get to the next step...

5. The current Remote user is unable to open the newly restored database.

Hope this makes sense.  The instructions in 14273 are pretty clear except when it comes to specifying who is logging in as various steps.

Help.  Please!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Trouble WIth Answer ID 14273 (How to Restore a Lost Publisher Database From a Remote Copy)

The only requirement is that the username you are signing in with has Administrator authority within the database. 

After restoring the database, can you sign in with any username? What is the message when you try to sign on with the remote user?

Knowing the publisher had to be restored, was this due to a hardware failure... if ACT! had to be reinstalled, are there enough licenses to allow the remote user to sign in?  Open ACT! (with or without a database) and check Help > Register ACT!.

Thank you for the feedback about the article, I have updated it with notation to use an 'Administrator' level username.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Re: Trouble WIth Answer ID 14273 (How to Restore a Lost Publisher Database From a Remote Copy)

CURRENT CONFIG:

Publisher Database:  user is Admin = Zalo

Remote Database:  user is Standard = Cordel

NEW CONFIG:

Publisher Database: user is Admin = Cordel

Remote Database: user is Standard = Zalo

Publisher database can no longer be opened.  See this thread:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Unable-to-open-ACT-2011-database/m-p/192439#M56501

Instead of trying to resolve all the errors, I thought this route (restoring lost publisher) would be better.

So on the Remote machine, I sign in as Zalo (on Cordel's machine).  ACT complains that Zalo is not the intended user but lets me signon anyway.  I do the Save a Copy, Open Copy and then Back-up but when I get to the Restore As step  I , make user name = Cordel but when it tries to restore, ACT says "You do not have athority to restore the database.  Please see your database Administrator".

If I do the restore and make user name = Zalo, it does the restore but Cordel is unable to signon to the database due to lack of license.

Platinum Super Contributor

At this point, ACT! is functioning as designed.  Only the administrator level username can restore the database and if there are insufficient licenses registered (assume only 1 license), it will not let another username sign in until there are additional licenses available.

In ACT!, check Help > Register ACT!.  It will show the number of licenses registered.  If it shows 1, do you have additional licenses to register (perhaps one from the workstation)? 

If it shows multiple, go to the Tools > Manage Users screen to see if there are usernames you can set to inactive to free up a license.

Greg Martin
Sage